Diy Co2 Injection

1. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

A week ago I decided to set up a co2 injection system. Quite a few people recommended that I do not do DIY co2, and to go strait to paintball co2, as it is cheaper than aquarium co2 systems. I realized that I would have to spend a minimum of $75 to get a decent paintball co2 system running on my 20 long, so I decided to test out a DIY CO2 set up. I am basically using the set up that Joey from King of DIY uses (Best wishes to his Arowana :emoji_cry:). Before I ask my questions I'm going to make a quick guide on how to set up your own DIY CO2 system for around $25, that has been working perfectly for a few days now, and I expect it to stay that way for a while.

Materials:
    - This DIY CO2 kit ($11 - $15)
    - Bubble Counter ($3)
    - Diffuser ($9)
    - Check Valve ($1)
    - 2 2L bottles ($3)

Subtotal: $27

CO2 Mix Materials:
    - 5 lb baking soda ($4)
    - 5 lb citric acid ($8)

Subtotal: $12

Total: $39

Keep in mind, that in a 20 gallon tank that amount of CO2 mix should easily keep your aquarium running for half a year running it 24/7. Thats only $2 a month to inject c02 into your aquarium!

Procedure:
    1. Fill up Bottle A with 200 mg of citric acid and 600 ml of water, dissolve completely.
    2. Fill up Bottle B with 200 mg of baking soda and 200 ml of water, mix.
    3. Make sure needle valve is closed on the DIY CO2 kit, attach bottle A to cap A, and bottle B to cap B.
    4. Squeeze Bottle A to get some citric acid to enter Bottle B. Repeat this as many times as it takes to get the pressure gauge to 1 - 2 kg/cm3, and shake bottle B every few times. Keep in mind I literally had to squeeze bottle A with my thighs in order to get the mixture to enter bottle B when the gauge started to approach 1 kg/cm3, don't be ashamed to do this.
    5. Fill bubble counter mostly with water/liquid and close it.
    6. attach tubing and equipment to bottle B in this order: tubing, check valve, tubing, bubble counter, tubing, diffuser.
    7. Attach diffuser to inside of tank with suction cups.
    8. Open needle valve all the way to get the process started, then close it until you are getting approximately 1 bubble per second in the bubble counter.
    9. Enjoy your co2, and try to not kill your fish.

Anyways, my main question is at what rate should I be injecting co2 Into my heavily planted tank? Picture:
    Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 6.33.12 PM.png
    I currently have it going at 1 bubble per second, and I am running the airstone at night. Is this good? Thanks. Also, I have heard stories of people opening Bottle A when there is still citric acid in it, and it explodes, should I be worried about this happening? Thanks :D

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Buy a drop checker, and adjust your CO2 slowly until the drop check is green :)

3. OP
    OP
    DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

Any you can recommend? I saw a really good one on amazon but $20 is a bit too much for a tiny price of glass you can put a liquid in.

4. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Advertisement