Diy Co2 - Are My Plans Correct?

1. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I am looking into doing CO2 on my tank when I get my lighting. Can you guys check my plan and make sure that it's right?

Take a 2 liter bottle and drill a hole in the top. Insert aquarium tubing and seal with silicone. Let dry.
    Cut the tubing and add check valve. Put the other piece of tubing on the other side of the check valve. Add air diffuser to the other side.
    Fill the 2 liter bottle with a cup of warm water, then add 400 grams of sugar and 1/2 a teaspoon of yeast. Change every 2 weeks.

Run air stone at night.

Use drop checker to test CO2 levels. Ideal level should be shown as green.

Anything wrong with this plan? Comments? Recommendations?
    I will be removing fragile livestock from the tank for a few days while I get that up and running as I know it can mess with stuff if not done properly.

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Here is what I did when I was using DIY CO2.
    1- The mix was 400 gr of sugar and half a teaspoon of yeast, just like yours.
    2- I changed it every 18-20 days
    3- I bought the cheapest internal filter I could find that had a "venturi" intake. I used that to difuse my CO2. DIY co2 doesnt produce much CO2 so you want the best difussion.
    4- I did not use any drop checkers, with that mix you cant really produce much CO2
    5- Instead of running an airstone at night I just uncapped the bottle.

I didnt kill a single fish with the CO2, I wouldnt worry much.

3. adz2332 Initiate Member

i ran a second bottle to like umm filter the co2 so no rubbish or sludge gets into the tank.

4. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the list! I'll definitely try that!