Diy Cave Feature - Aquarium Safe?

mossman

I have a 12" long piece of clear 3" PVC pipe and want to cover it in gravel and place it along the rear of my tank to provide another hiding spot for my Ram. I purchased a tube of food-safe silicone with the intention of spreading a thin layer of silicone over the outer surface of the pipe and rolling the pipe over a bed of gravel to cover it. Any reason why this would be a bad idea? Considering I'll be using food-safe silicone and aquarium gravel, I don't see why it wouldn't be completely fine, but figured I'd ask.

Basil

My free tank came with a cool PVC pyramid that had been made by the previous owner. I think he had to glue them together some way. The fish love it!
In my 75, I used a hair net to attach java moss to mine
Granted I have only had fish in it for about 3 weeks but so far so good! But I have no idea about glueing gravel.
ETA that yes, I see you were planning to use silicone but it’s the same as one would seal a tank with?

I have seen aquarium safe glue for sale but have not tried it. Although DH brought home some small pieces of marble that would make great caves so I may be ordering some glue soon!
IMG_1711.JPG

ValerieAdams

I would assume it's fine, plenty of people on here use pvc pipe as hides. If you're worried about the silicon you could always get the kind for resealing aquariums but I don't see why food safe wouldn't be okay.

NavyChief20

I would assume it's fine, plenty of people on here use pvc pipe as hides. If you're worried about the silicon you could always get the kind for resealing aquariums but I don't see why food safe wouldn't be okay.
That silicon will work fine as far as fish safe. There are better ways to do what you're doing but that idea will work. Over time the gravel will come off though. It works better and looks better if you integrate it with a 3D background .

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishcat
Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies
Views
vikingkirken
Replies
Views