Diy Canister

1. P

Prodriver86 New Member Member

Looking to make my own canister 4inch pvc or abs where do you guys buy your or make your media from

2. R

ReefDudes New Member Member

I personally use ceramic rings or other ceramic media but I have also seen lots just use the pot scrubbies

3. OP
    OP
    P

Prodriver86 New Member Member

Yes I was curious about the mechanical media part of my filter build sorry .... do you know if the plain green scrubbed are Chem free and fish safe

4. R

You want the colourful cheap ones from the dollar store that are like a plastic stingey thing. Make sure they are chemical few. Usually the cheaper they are the Better and less like to have additives

5. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

I have used -- lava rocks, river rock/pebbles, marbles, nylon scrubbies, sponges, scouring pads or sponges (all with no added chemicals), polyster quilt material. I've seen others use plastic bottles cut up, plastic straws cut up, swimming noodles cut up, etc
    It's actually interesting the amount of materials that can be substituted without buying something specifically manufactured for aquarium filtering.

6. B

BreamDream New Member Member

Hi my canister is made from a 2 litre airtight spaghetti tub. Two 1/2" tank connectors top and bottom. Garden hose connectors and push-fit adapters complete the job. Only 45 gph at the moment but sufficient for my 10 gallon tank. C

Canister is stuffed with chemical free scouring sponges, a handful of peat, biomax ceramic cylinders and 100ml purigen bag.

7. R

I made my reactor canisters out of pasta jars