Diy Canister Or Typical Hob?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Bruxes and Bubbles, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

For my next tank build, I am trying to decide what I will do in terms of filtration. All of my tanks currently run on Aqueon Quietflows, but they do tend to create a 'waterfall' effect in the tank, and I don't think that will be optimal for the tank I'm trying to create. I looked online at canister filters for sale, but most were quite expensive compared to a $25 HOB filter. I love how the canisters are able to be modified for water flow, though, so I looked around for some DIY instructions and came across this:

Do you guys think that this filter would work well in the long run? I love how it will be able to be easily hidden, and it's not hard to make at all. Thoughts?

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252Well Known MemberMember

I do not have experience with them personally but have you looked at SUNSUN canisters? Many people run them and I have not seen many complaints :)
    However DIY stuff can be fun if you like doing that :)

3. DutchMutch

DutchMutchNew MemberMember

you could just use a five gallon bucket and use water tight seals around it connecting to 2 pvc pipes of whatever size you want.

4. OP
    OP
    B

Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

While I would love to do one like that, my stand is metal and open, so the bucket would be sitting on the side of the tank...I don't think my parents would like that too much.

That was the brand I was looking at. Same issue as above though. Hiding it wouldn't be easy.

5. DutchMutch

DutchMutchNew MemberMember

may want to just get a quietflow HOB then or something. If your going for aesthetics and concerned about your parents looking at it, with an open stand. Options are limited for what your looking for. Try a Hydor canister filter.

6. OP
    OP
    B

Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

I will look into them. Thank you. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice