DIY Canister for pond?

Boxerb2003
Could I make a DIY canister of this tub??? and ifso.. HOW?
365.jpg

tyspot1000
You could make a cheap easy pond filter (it would seem to be just like a canister)

Heres a link.

You could do this but your tub is bigger, so.......

Boxerb2003
Thanks Tyler, I'm gonna make a 300-400 Gal Goldfish pond most likely.

gremlin
Common, comet, and shubunkin goldfish would be best for an outdoor pond. I would stay away from the fancy goldies. If you want to do a fancy goldfish pond, then you could, but I would not suggest mixing the two types. The fancy goldies are not as strong of swimmers as the non-fancy and would have a harder time avoiding predators and getting enough to eat. You could do a pleco (I have two sailfin plecos in my pond) but you would need to make sure that the water temp does not drop below 68 degrees farenheit in the winter. I also have three cories and a chinese algae eater in my pond. They help to control the snails. For mosquito control, you could get Mosquito Fish. They are a native live bearing fish that love to eat mosquito larvae. Most Cooperative Extension Services (at least here in Arizona) will give you some for free if you tell them you have a water feature and want to control the mosquitos. That's how we got ours. American Flagfish are also a good pond fish. They, too, are native to the US and can handle the fluctuating temperature of a pond. Flagfish are algae eaters and will help to keep the algae under control. You may also want to consider a UV bulb as part of your filter. The UV bulb will kill the floating green pea soup algae bloom.
As for plants, pond lilies, water lettuce, and water hyacinth are all good plants to help shade the pond water and provide cover for the fish to hide from predators. Water hyacinth and water lettuce may not be available in your area - they are considered invasive species and are banned from being sold in some areas (like Arizona).

Boxerb2003
Hmm... Good to know, I would like fancys rather then Common/comet/Shubunkin's

will 1 pleco be okay? if I feed him Zucchini? and how many fancy's in the pond...? And I plan on making it the pond after christmas

gremlin
What type of fancies? You will need to bear in mind that different types of fancy goldfish will have different requirements. Also, some are just not suitable for out door ponds. Bubble eye and celestial, for instance, I would not ever put outside.
As for how many, some of the fancy goldies can grow to be about the size of a volleyball. So, figure how many volleyballs could comfortable swim around in your pond.
A pleco would be fine, as long as the winter temp does not drop below 68 degrees farenheit in your pond. You could also feed with algae wafers (that's what I do).

Boxerb2003
my plan was, 8 ryukins, and 2 Crown Pearscales/ Orandas / Fantails

gremlin
Ryukins should be okay...

Fantails should be okay also...

Orandas should be okay, you may want to keep an eye on their wen's to make sure they don't get damaged...

Pearlscales may also be fine, once again you would need to watch the headgrowth to make sure it does not get damaged...

Boxerb2003
Okay, I'm gonna get a 400 gallon kit instead of a 300... How many goldies in the 400?

gremlin
It depends on the adult size of the goldfish you decide on. Some fancy goldfish can grow to the size of a volleyball. How many volleyballs can "swim" around in the pond without bumping into each other or anything else in the pond? It is a good idea to start with only a couple - I would say 3-5 total - then you can always add as they grow. Or, who knows, maybe they'll spawn in your pond and you will have babies!

Boxerb2003
Everyone... ive decided, I'm gonna wait until we move to get a pond.

Latest threads

Top Bottom