Diy Breeder Box Using 15l Clear Tuperware Box Question

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by AGuna, Aug 25, 2019.

1. AGuna

AGunaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi,

I have 3 platies and 4 guppies that are pregnant. I have a 25 Gallon Tank. I read that keeping the pregnant fish in the breeder box causes stress resulting in premature birth or abort as well.

Will the same things happen if the breeder box is large enough (15 Liter)? I don't have equipment for separate tank so I have to use existing one.

I have 2 15L boxes. I can do it in 2 ways:

1. Use each box individually - 1st box for 3X platies; 2nd for 4X guppies. Drill holes in all 4 walls and on the bottom of the boxes or cut square piece of the sides and connect a mesh/ net using silicone. This will allow good water flow. Add plants (live or artificial) in the boxes for the fry to hide from their mommy. Once birth is complete, remove the mommy from the box. Since there will be more than 1 parent in the box with the fry, which will make their survival hard, i think.

2. Join both 15 L boxes one top of another using silicone. Keep the top box for pregnant guppies and platies. Drill holes in the bottom big enough for the fry to all down in to second box. This way parents (7 fish) will have 15L box to themselves and all the fry will have bottom 15 L box to themselves.

Please provide your suggestions which option would be better?

Thank you
    Asrar

2. abbytherookiehuman

abbytherookiehumanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    2 years
    Op 2 seems better as the guppies will be safer but consider if the mums will get stressed all being in such close quarters. Consider the possibility of leaving them as they are in their existing tank and provide lots of little hiding places for the babies
    Hope this helped

3. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I've read that moving them too close to term can cause stress and abortion too.
    I personally don't move the females at all. Do you have any predators in your tank that could eat the fry? Or do you just want the babies all separate from the main tank?

I guess the second option sounds better.

4. OP
    OP
    AGuna

AGunaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you for your replies.
    @CheshireKat I have platies (males and females), Guppies (Males and Females) and 1 male betta in the tank.

5. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ah, he could be a problem then. My female betta chased the fry but didn't eat them but after a month or something I did witness her eat two. Not sure why she suddenly started to. Not only that, she was already overeating because of how much I was feeding the tank. I had to remove her and put her on a no-fry diet, to her dismay.

6. MissNoodle

MissNoodleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +728
    Its always possible to scoop up any fry you see and put them in the box. Wont necessarily save all of them, but it saves stress on moving the parents. Ive known livebearers to eat their children the very moment they spit them out, so i dont trust them with fry either lol

Keep them in the separate boxes until theyre large enough to not be eaten. You could even set 2 up and put any male fry (when you can tell theyre male at first signs) in a separate box to prevent any inbreeding too.

But you will need to figure out where all the fry will end up going, so perhaps cycle out a grow out tank for future use as guaranteed there will likely be even more fry coming.

7. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Experience:
    2 years
    I would go with option 3 and let nature take its course. If you only have a 25 gallon and are not able to set up a big enough fry growout tank then you will soon be overrun by guppy and platy fry. Like the others have stated provide cover for the fry ( floating plants ) and also if you move any of the females there is a chance they will abort and will end up causing more issues than leaving them be.

8. OP
    OP
    AGuna

AGunaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank You all. Always a delight to have your suggestions and feedback. I really appreciate it. I have learned a lot from you within a short span.

Thanks again.

I don't want to stress the females. I think I will leave them in the main tank and add more plants for cover. I will add the fry to these 15L boxes as and when I see them.

9. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thats the best idea IMO. A better way to catch fry than a net is a turkey baster sucking them up so they don't get stuck in the webbing of the net. Good luck!

10. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I use both, and a cup if they're at the surface; submerging the cup on the side pulls the fish inside. They can be fast little suckers. Once spent an hour trying to catch the last fry.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019