40 Gallon Tank Diy Bottle Filter Questions

koigal

Reaction score
I have a 40 gal. fry tank, no substrate, with 2-60 gal. sponge filters. I want to include some ceramic rings and maybe some crushed coral-I was going to make a bottle filter with a 1 liter and air tubing. Thing is do they work, can I add the ceramic and coral in the same bottle together and what size pump would I use to get the water flow needed? Do I use an air stone in the bottom of the bottle or just the air tubing?

This is a photo of what I mean. Also, the bottle I bought to use has a label on it with sticky glue or whatever. How would I clean the outside of the bottle after removing label? Should I just forget that bottle and get another one without glue? I wanted a wider mouth than a water bottle size.

Oh and can that water in this bottle go into my fry tank when I do my WC with the minerals and PH8+ in it?
diy filter.jpg" data-xf-init="lightbox" data-lb-single-image="1" data-lb-container-zoom="1" data-lb-trigger=".js-lbImage-attachment613632" data-lb-id="attachment613632">
diy filter.jpg
Water bottle.jpg
Water bottle-2.jpg

I have had a hard time getting this to cycle and as they grow-I don't know if the sponge filters will be enough.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i believe you can just just have the air tube.

i've tried goo gone, it works on some adhesives but not too well on other types. i've found that Dawn soap works the best to remove any sticky stuff.

the ingredients look ok, just depends on the parameters of your tank, pH, KH. but i think 1 8oz bottle shouldn't alter the parameters too much to shock the fish.

koigal

Reaction score
i believe you can just just have the air tube.

i've tried goo gone, it works on some adhesives but not too well on other types. i've found that Dawn soap works the best to remove any sticky stuff.

the ingredients look ok, just depends on the parameters of your tank, pH, KH. but i think 1 8oz bottle shouldn't alter the parameters too much to shock the fish.
Thank you, PH is 7.0 and KH is at 2 drops. The bottle is actually a 32 oz, not 8 oz. Is that bottle going to be to large in my tank? What size air pump would I need for the bubbles to pass through the ceramic rings in order to be effective? What would be the best placement given the current order in the tank?

The dawn won't form a residue on the plastic? I'll try and soak it.
tank9-20-1.jpg

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
if your tank is tall enough, should be fine.

the size of the bubbles don't matter for this type of filtration, the bubbles just create water movement/circulation.

put the Dawn soap on the sticky residue and let it sit for about 15 minutes. the sticky residue should now come off easily, just rinse off the bottle very well, shouldn't be any soap residue left on the bottle.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom