DIY Bio-wheel bearings!!!

1. anunez91 Member Member

Im not cheap, but I didn't want to spend three dollars plus shipping on bearings for the biowheel 150b, not to mention Drsfostersmith.com doesnt carry them for that model. I bought the filter used and it didnt come with bearings. Heres the solution. Take two tabs off of a regular 12 oz. Soda can, prefferably the Square tabs (A&W root beer tabs work the best, experiment and see which work for you). Get a small set of pliers and slowly and gently bend it in half at the little bar in the middle of the tab. Once you have it slightly bent, Use your fingers to bend it completely in half. Stick the smaller end (the part that was connected to the can) in the cavity where you would the bearings and VIOLA! I just saved you three dollars and shipping. I HAD to share this with you all. =] AND the best part is, if you lose a bearing, you can relax and have a soda knowing you dont have to go out and buy another one. Awesome.

*note* im not sure if this works on the other models, although, through common sense. If it has a cavity for a bearing, it should.

**note** for obvious reasons, the biowheel doesnt spin as perfectly smooth as it would if it were used with the proper parts and i have no idea how this would impact the effectiveness of the biowheel. It still spins but it has some hiccups. I've been observing it for about 20 minutes and it has yet to actually stop spinning, so, use at your own risk! =] Im only using this as a temporary fix so i can continue to cycle my filters and get the bacteria colonies up, i do intend on buying the bearings sometime soon.

Attached Files:

2. eiginh Well Known Member Member

Pictures would be good! nice way to save yourself lunch money ;)

3. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Can you lower it closer to the output water??..I think that would make it spin better.
    lol and I just threw my bio wheel into the trash!!!..cause it wouldn't reliably spin...and there's the answer!!

4. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Great solution!!! And yep...I totally just tossed mine too because it wouldn't spin. :rolleyes:

5. eiginh Well Known Member Member

You have to tweak it in order to get it to spin. Once the blue carbon cartridge gets filled with detritus the water flow slows, I lifted mine about half an inch up and that fixed the problem.

6. anunez91 Member Member

actually, the lower i had the tabs, the less it would spin, kinda like the guy above, i had it higher up and its spinning almost perfectly. I experimented, and the best tabs to use are the ones off A&W root beer, hahaha, they are actually square though, so i have to fix my original post. Its spinning at about 90 to 95 percent as well as it would with the bearings so, show this to all your friends and fellow FL folks, =] go take yours out of the trash and buy some root beer!