DIY aquarium stand, larger than tank?

Squadz

Here's a hard one.

I built a diy stand a month ago, love it, works great. The tank was a standard 75 gallon, so the tank was 48.5x18.5 width and depth. I did an inch extra all around as a lip, works perfect. Followed King of DIYs build:

I'm looking at getting another tank, except this one is a 50 gallon (yes, not 55), and has a measurement of 48.5x12.5.

If I build a stand to that measurement, there's no room for upgrade if I ever want a 75 or 90 for that stand in the future, would need to build a whole new stand.

So here's my question, using that king of diy video as a reference, what would happen if I made the exact same stand I made previously at the 75 gallon dimensions and put the 50 on top?

The width is fine, but the depth is what concerns me. The 2x4 supports on the corners wouldn't be holding up the tank, only the plywood and the center cross braces would. Or would it be fine?

Looking for feedback on what to do.

MoshJosh

The corners of the tank need to be supported by the 2X4s (either directly above the upright 2X4s or by a 2X4 crossbeam that is directly above the upright 2X4s). placing the tank on the stand as you have suggested would be relying on the strength of the plywood and the screws holding the cross braces, this is not sufficient/does not provide a high enough safety factor for me to recommend it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tol
Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
RayClem
  • Question
Replies