Diy aquarium decor

Greenfungaloo
hi guys! just o be clear-this is not a repetition of my earlier thread (hopefully that won't happen again). I am just wondering if anyone knows about any DIY aquarium decor! I have heard that you can use garden pots... rocks... wood... (i have also heard about using old toys---but I am worried about the type of plastic in it) anyhow.... Does anyone know some cool DIY aquarium decoration?

Advertisement
Heron
I have used rocks from the garden and even roof slates in aquariums. If you use rocks it's best to test them with acid to check they are suitable, if they react to acid they will mess with your KH and pH so are unsuitable. If you don't have any strong acids available you can use vinegar.
You can use some Driftwood you find but some types of wood are unsuitable so avoid wood if you don't know what it is.
If you use anything you've found wash it REALLY well, I also sterilize it with baby bottle sterilizing tablets.
If you add Driftwood it may lower your pH a bit.
When I need caves in hospital and breeding tanks I often use plastic plumbing fittings. They don't look great but the fish like them and they are easy to sterilize.

CatM30
I used an old winnie the pooh glass jar in my first betta tank, I washed it with really hot water and made sure there was no soap left on it. As silly as it looked, I don't think my betta ever forgave me for moving it out of his tank

Advertisement
pattersonbear
Glass, anything dishwasher and food safe, so mugs ect., some kids toys, some rocks you can find outside, legos, terracotta.

FishGirl115
Mugs are great because they work as a cave and a swim through obstacle (handle)

Advertisement
Barrylfc
I bought coconuts, cut large holes in them, then cut in half and boil them a few times to remove tannins..they look natural, cheap and the fish love them!!

Greenfungaloo
Wow-thx guys!! I am going to try mugs and maybe some rocks... also some pots perhaps?

Advertisement
Greenfungaloo
Hmm... i have some legos... could i make a cave with those? (Apparently they have a personal meaning with my lil brother... im pretty sure its just an excuse to act like he is 12)

Greenfungaloo
Here is everything i could find... please tell me if they work!!! I also have a pic of my tank for reference...
20200423_183317.jpg
20200423_182111.jpg
20200423_182046.jpg
20200423_181449.jpgthe rock that looks like cheese is the size or nearly the whole bottom of the fish tank
20200423_181429.jpgthe snail shell planter is definitely big enough for my goldfish to go into and exit!! With extra room!--- i am a bit concerned about the paint though...

20200423_181415.jpg
20200423_181404.jpg

Attachments

• 20200423_181519.jpg
    20200423_181519.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20200423_181345.jpg
    20200423_181345.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200423_181316.jpg
    20200423_181316.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 52
Greenfungaloo
Which ones look good to you?

Greenfungaloo
i read up a bit more- and i found some stuff about polymer clay. could I do that? would I need to seal it or would it be enough to just bake it?

xsalomexx
Any ideas of ways i can make diy aquarium decor or thing i can make decor out of? Thank you! Show pictures of your diy aquarium decor too!

Salem
I have made a lot faux plants and actually made a tutorial on how to make them. I also really like to use terracotta pots as hides. I usually knock out the bottom or completely smash and sand down all the edges.

kallililly1973
PCV pipe can also make nice little caves for fish. Just get the water safe pieces.

Noroomforshoe
Sculpy supposidly is inert and aquarium safe once fired. I made the mistake of buying clay from ebay, and it was old and fell apart while i was still forming the structure, so I have never actually put sculpy in muy tank yet. But I made a clay phollow log and painted it at a Busyy bee store and it was fired in their huge kiln, my fish like it, its been in the tank 2 years or so.

minervalong
Sculpey is great. Just always get fresh and get it worked up really well. I should buy stock in it as I'm just drawing the design for my motte and bailey 40b tank. You can't just buy those things at the fishy store you know lol.

ProudPapa
I picked up some old dried fallen limbs from the cow pasture, rinsed them with a hose, dropped them in tanks and let them sink in their own good time, then glued anubias to them. Does that count?

mimo91088
My rocks are all found at the local pond

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SFGiantsGuy
  • Question
Replies
Views
Leeman75
Replies
Views