Diy aquarium decor

Greenfungaloo

Reaction score
hi guys! just o be clear-this is not a repetition of my earlier thread (hopefully that won't happen again). I am just wondering if anyone knows about any DIY aquarium decor! I have heard that you can use garden pots... rocks... wood... (i have also heard about using old toys---but I am worried about the type of plastic in it) anyhow.... Does anyone know some cool DIY aquarium decoration?

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have used rocks from the garden and even roof slates in aquariums. If you use rocks it's best to test them with acid to check they are suitable, if they react to acid they will mess with your KH and pH so are unsuitable. If you don't have any strong acids available you can use vinegar.
You can use some Driftwood you find but some types of wood are unsuitable so avoid wood if you don't know what it is.
If you use anything you've found wash it REALLY well, I also sterilize it with baby bottle sterilizing tablets.
If you add Driftwood it may lower your pH a bit.
When I need caves in hospital and breeding tanks I often use plastic plumbing fittings. They don't look great but the fish like them and they are easy to sterilize.

CatM30

Reaction score
I used an old winnie the pooh glass jar in my first betta tank, I washed it with really hot water and made sure there was no soap left on it. As silly as it looked, I don't think my betta ever forgave me for moving it out of his tank

pattersonbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Glass, anything dishwasher and food safe, so mugs ect., some kids toys, some rocks you can find outside, legos, terracotta.

Barrylfc

Reaction score
I bought coconuts, cut large holes in them, then cut in half and boil them a few times to remove tannins..they look natural, cheap and the fish love them!!

OP
Greenfungaloo

Greenfungaloo

Reaction score
Wow-thx guys!! I am going to try mugs and maybe some rocks... also some pots perhaps?

OP
Greenfungaloo

Greenfungaloo

Reaction score
Hmm... i have some legos... could i make a cave with those? (Apparently they have a personal meaning with my lil brother... im pretty sure its just an excuse to act like he is 12)

OP
Greenfungaloo

Greenfungaloo

Reaction score
Here is everything i could find... please tell me if they work!!! I also have a pic of my tank for reference... 20200423_183317.jpg20200423_182111.jpg20200423_182046.jpg20200423_181449.jpgthe rock that looks like cheese is the size or nearly the whole bottom of the fish tank20200423_181429.jpgthe snail shell planter is definitely big enough for my goldfish to go into and exit!! With extra room!--- i am a bit concerned about the paint though...

20200423_181415.jpg20200423_181404.jpg

Attachments

OP
Greenfungaloo

Greenfungaloo

Reaction score
i read up a bit more- and i found some stuff about polymer clay. could I do that? would I need to seal it or would it be enough to just bake it?

New Threads