DIY aquarium cave attempt

Mootang
So after watching several YouTube videos on making aquarium decorations I'm going to try to make a cave. I've got the foam cut out in the shape I want and burned off the rugged edges. My plan is to put space in the bottom to add extra concrete so it will sink. Have to figure out yet what I can use to seal it all. But here's my progress so far. Anyone that has done this before feel free to give advice.

removed

removed

removed

removed

Aquaphobia
What kind of foam is it? Is it that hard expanding foam insulation or can you buy blocks of it ready made?

Your cave looks great already!

Mootang
It's some sort of packaging foam I just got it from a box at work

Aquaphobia
Are all foams aquarium safe?

Mootang
It will be covered in concrete and then the whole thing will be sealed so nothing can get into the aquarium water

Mootang
Got the first coat on

removed

Aquaphobia
Looks fantastic!

Advertisement
Mootang
Put some holes in the bottom side and filled with concrete to hopefully help it sink. If this doesn't work I'll just add a slate to the bottom

removed

removed

Mootang
Added another thick coat of concrete then let everything cure. Then misted some matte black krylon fusion paint on to give it a little depth. Now just have to add several layers of clear and let it set about a week

removed

Aquaphobia
There is a huge concrete cave meant as an abstract garden ornament at a friend's place. Every time I see it all I can think of is how much my chinchillas or my angelfish would love to play with it

Mootang
Haha I'm sure they wouldn't miss it

Aquaphobia
I don't know, it's pretty big...

Mootang
I put the cave in my tank tonight and it just didn't seem to look right. Doesn't seem to go well with the rest of the tank. I'm going to keep it might use it later down the road but now I think I'm just going to do a slate cave

pipirose
Pics?

Paulsz
It sucks that it didn't fit in well, but that's a pretty sweet cave. Kind of inspires me to do something similar because I can't seem to decorations in store that suit my needs.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Awesomeneptune
Replies
Views
KDS
Replies
Views
hedgiemom
Replies
Views