DIY 30 gallon fish tank

Sprinkle
HI all, since my newest 30 gallon tank is leaking even when I tried to fix it, I thought about making my own DIY 30 gallon tank with just transparent plastic foil.
Is that a good idea or should I let it off?
Or I should find a good pond and make a indoor fish pond where I just could put on it so my swordtails don't jump out?

I found something like this:

It's cheap and it's 140L!! Is this a good idea?

I also found this underwater light on Amazon:

Keenso Underwater LED Light Marine Boat Yacht 10W 12V RGB LED Underwater Spot Light IP68 Waterproof Pond Aquarium Lamp Operating Temperature -10~+50℃(Silvery White): Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

I need help with this all.

Advertisement
Littlebudda
The pond will warp if you fill it out of ground it’s not real big but I would be careful ponds are not really designed to hold pressure the same way as a tank.

Advertisement
Sprinkle
The pond will warp if you fill it out of ground it’s not real big but I would be careful ponds are not really designed to hold pressure the same way as a tank.
Oh. Maybe I would use the plastic foil then? But then how am I supposed to "build" it?

Littlebudda
Not sure what plastic foil is so can’t help there, I just know as a landscaper that ponds are designed to be strong with a force pushing in from the outside the water then counter acts those pressures but they need to be able to support the pressure from the surrounding earth when empty.

Sprinkle
Not sure what plastic foil is so can’t help there, I just know as a landscaper that ponds are designed to be strong with a force pushing in from the outside the water then counter acts those pressures but they need to be able to support the pressure from the surrounding earth when empty.
So, I thing I need to give up on this and just put huge fish again in a small tank

Littlebudda
Or get a big tank

Advertisement

Sprinkle
I’m confused as to why not?
Huh, ok.. My mother won't agree to get me another huge tank...

JimC22
How did you try to fix the leaking tank? Did you cut out the old seal and caulk in new silicone?

Advertisement

Sprinkle
How did you try to fix the leaking tank? Did you cut out the old seal and caulk in new silicone?
Tried it. The next day the tank was leaking again so I had to get someone to get the tank and just take it.

JimC22
That's unusual. It's rare when you cut out all the inside seals and then re-bead new silicone in that you have a leak. Was this a frameless tank? If not, did you take the top support off and then silicone that back in? Sometime the leak is inside the top bracket when tank is topped of.

Just asking, you already got rid of the tank so there's nothing that can advise you on trying again.

Sprinkle
That's unusual. It's rare when you cut out all the inside seals and then re-bead new silicone in that you have a leak. Was this a frameless tank? If not, did you take the top support off and then silicone that back in? Sometime the leak is inside the top bracket when tank is topped of.

Just asking, you already got rid of the tank so there's nothing that can advise you on trying again.
It was a rimless tank. The guy that sold it to me, he made it as a DIY.

JimC22
Gotcha. I've considered purchasing glass and making my own tank, just haven't pulled the trigger. It's not all that hard, just have to have the tools, time and patience. Thinking about a 40 gallon breeder just to see how it comes out.

If you want to build your own 30 gallon and can get the glass at a reasonable cost, here is a link on how to build a tank.

Advertisement

Sprinkle
Gotcha. I've considered purchasing glass and making my own tank, just haven't pulled the trigger. It's not all that hard, just have to have the tools, time and patience. Thinking about a 40 gallon breeder just to see how it comes out.

If you want to build your own 30 gallon and can get the glass at a reasonable cost, here is a link on how to build a tank.
Thanks, as long as my mother will agree as she prefers to waste all the money on her stupid cats, not on me.

JimC22
Oh I'll bet your mom does more for you than you realize. Mom's happiness is important. Remember there is an old saying "If mom is not happy - No one is happy!"......:smug:

Sprinkle
Oh I'll bet your mom does more for you than you realize. Mom's happiness is important. Remember there is an old saying "If mom is not happy - No one is happy!"......:smug:
If my mother is not happy and doesn't care about me I'm happy :smug:
She'll say it's too expensive to do and make, too much water is wasted and too much money wasted. If not, I get few 45 liter clear boxes and cut off the sides and I'll use some clear plastic foil and I'll do a Walstad tank that would go on for 3 months or so.

JimC22
Understand. It can be hard and frustrating when there is something you really want and the parents are not on board. Hang in there in time it could change.

You sure got the bug. Love your passion.

Best you can do as a long range plan is to save up to get the tank and the supplies you want. It may take you a while but once you get there you'll be real happy as it is something you did and accomplished with savings and hard work. Look at finding someone who is getting out of the hobby and you could find yourself a real good deal. Be patient and get something that is in good shape and works to your needs.

We've all gone through something like this and here we are meeting on FL taking about our hobby.

Don't lose your love for fish keeping - it's a great hobby and wonderful way to meet people with the same interests.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sabit Safwat Rahman
Replies
Views
mikerox29
Replies
Views
NBettas83
Replies
Views