DIY 10 gal. refugium with chaeto algae

1971roadrunner

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just hooked up my 10 gal. QT tank from my Freshwater to my Saltwater sump. I used a power head and tubing/attachments I had lying around to pump water into the tank and syphoning out water back to the sump with more flexible tubing. I'm controlling the flow rate for now with adjustable vice grips on the return tube. This will not be my permanent system but I would like this to run for now in my presence ONLY with chaeto algae when I'm home. Will the chaeto live without the system running all the time? The more permanent system will run 24-7. I could use any advice given, thank you.

* I'm reading about pulse macros now and will play with siliconing in spillover dams later.

OP
1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Got my answer and it's a YES! The chaetomorpha algae will do great without the system running 24-7 and even 6hrs a day with my cheap fluorescent lighting would have great results The refug. with chaeto will also allow for significant pods and other small organisms to grow, my mandarin will love this. I'll put together a more permanent system in time but for now I'm going to get my algae tomorrow!

OP
1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've decided not to run this system, but it proved to me that it's actually quite easy if I wanted it to be. Took it a little further and decided to use my 29gal Saltwater QT instead and got to work on that by putting in two black spill dams with silicone, (that will probably need further adjusting) pvc and a ball valve to control the flow which I've started on. The big difference will be that water will be syphoned into the refug. and the 250gph power head will be the return.The reason for the larger tank is to add some live rock AND my chaeto algae which will also need room to tumble around some. This simple design will need a fair amount of maintenance but the benefits should be staggering for nitrate reduction and a lot of amphipods and copepods for my mandarin etc.. to feast on-yum!!!

OP
1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah sure I'd love to! But back to square one due to space issues beneath. I'm going back to the drawing board with either the 10gal again or maybe a 20gal that was given to me, probably the 20gal. I originally wanted to do a quicky refug. but decided to do it right way the first time around.
photo.jpg

* Tanks like these are no worse than the expensive systems if just a little effort is put in. I'm online with a guy who is going to help to guide me through this.

New Threads