diving in

1. s

space traveler New Member Member

I couldn't stand it anymore, so I went out and picked up a tank. Well 3 actually :;hf I picked them up today at the flea market, 2-55 gallon tanks,with stands and 1-29 gallon tank with stand, no tops, no lights all for $50.

Now to figure out what to put in them...................................

2. reefdude

reefdude Valued Member Member

You can't beat that! If you haven't done it already, I would fill them all with water for at least 48 hours and check for leaks!:;2cents

3. OP
    OP
    s

Good idea,guess I will start by putting water in them.(duhhhhhh):;smack

I guess that would be a "no-brainer"

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello SpaceTraveler and congrats on the new tanks. Don't forget to complete your aquarium information in your profile as you go along. It will really be a big help to others. I hope you can share some photos with us showing your progress :)
    Happy Holidays!:;ps
    Ken

5. OP
    OP
    s

So far only 1 tank is useable. 1 55 gallon the top brace is broken and started to bow out as I filled it up.So,I can use it as a terrarium of some kind,I suppose. The 29 gallon tank,leaks around the seal on the left corner. I have been reading here,and it seems it may be able to be fixed with some aquarium cement.So I will give that a shot and see what happens.

1 good tank,filled with water,sitting in the bedroom hahahaha If I could make a "waterbed" into a fish tank,THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.

6. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Resealing a tank isn't difficult, but you have to work carefully to strip all the old silicone. New silicone won't adhere well to old. Get the glass really clean with a razor blade and then go over the areas with rubbing alcohol. The actual resealing is the easy part- apply silicone liberally and smooth it out with your finger (wear gloves, trust me :p ). Let it cure for at least 24 hours before the next leak test. GE Silicone I is cheaper than aquarium silicone, and is safe for aquarium use.

For your broken 55, you should be able to replace the top frame. Look for a sticker somewhere on the tank that tells you the manufacturer. Then you should be able to get the piece directly from the manufacturer. :)