diving in

1. space traveler Initiate Member

I couldn't stand it anymore, so I went out and picked up a tank. Well 3 actually :;hf I picked them up today at the flea market, 2-55 gallon tanks,with stands and 1-29 gallon tank with stand, no tops, no lights all for $50.

Now to figure out what to put in them...................................

2. reefdude Member Member

You can't beat that! If you haven't done it already, I would fill them all with water for at least 48 hours and check for leaks!:;2cents

3. space traveler Initiate Member

Good idea,guess I will start by putting water in them.(duhhhhhh):;smack

I guess that would be a "no-brainer"

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello SpaceTraveler and congrats on the new tanks. Don't forget to complete your aquarium information in your profile as you go along. It will really be a big help to others. I hope you can share some photos with us showing your progress :)
    Happy Holidays!:;ps
    Ken

5. space traveler Initiate Member

So far only 1 tank is useable. 1 55 gallon the top brace is broken and started to bow out as I filled it up.So,I can use it as a terrarium of some kind,I suppose. The 29 gallon tank,leaks around the seal on the left corner. I have been reading here,and it seems it may be able to be fixed with some aquarium cement.So I will give that a shot and see what happens.

1 good tank,filled with water,sitting in the bedroom hahahaha If I could make a "waterbed" into a fish tank,THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Resealing a tank isn't difficult, but you have to work carefully to strip all the old silicone. New silicone won't adhere well to old. Get the glass really clean with a razor blade and then go over the areas with rubbing alcohol. The actual resealing is the easy part- apply silicone liberally and smooth it out with your finger (wear gloves, trust me :p ). Let it cure for at least 24 hours before the next leak test. GE Silicone I is cheaper than aquarium silicone, and is safe for aquarium use.

For your broken 55, you should be able to replace the top frame. Look for a sticker somewhere on the tank that tells you the manufacturer. Then you should be able to get the piece directly from the manufacturer. :)