Question Diving Headfirst With Nerd Power

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok yeah I should have came here in the first place but I didn't really look at all of the forum.
The basic run down is I wanted Ranchu goldfish but later found out at a PetLand that they are advanced fish and of course I have just started high school. Got my betta named Iycho, I named him after a female character named Aiko in a game called Corpse Party. Later on during March 2019 named my second betta, Yoshiki, he's named after another character from the same game series.

Got guppies after Christmas and minus one that died I had five males. In January I got two pregnant females Mamba and Echo, the next day after I purchased them (on Friday Jan. 11th). Later finally got a 29 gallon tank where my fish navy (because it's in the water) lives. I slightly got a massive bio load in there but I do water changes and filter cleaning.

My questions.
Will assassin snails hunting cause ammonia spikes?
Can I get Plappies? (Guppy and Platy mix)
How do I rehabilitate my attitude equivalent betta? Should I use female guppies as the fish of choice?
How much is too much beneficial bacteria to pour in?
Are those ammonia and nitrate removal rocks effective/affective?
Which brand combo is better? Tetra, TopFin, and API or Aqueon and Marina?
Why do people answer me about brine when I ask about fairy shrimp as live food?
Will there be a 70% or more chance Platies eat guppy fry?
Why does only one person answer my thread and I guess act like a know-it-all?
(no offence for that one I just wanted to ask if they're aware)
Why do I keep getting asked about my water nitrate, Ph, etc? I don't have a kit (yet)! I would explain in the original post if I knew the aquarium's status and health.
(I'll ask more in the replies)

Last edited:

Fawkes21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Assassin snails hunting shouldn't cause ammonia spikes

If your tank is at its stocking limit then I wouldn't get plappies

If you mean mixing a betta with other fish like guppies, it can go both ways. Some bettas are friendly and can coexist with other fish, some are too aggressive. Generally it's best to introduce fish that don't have flowing fins your betta might get tempted to nip at

You can't really overdose beneficial bacteria, but there should be a chart advising how many caps per gallons

As for the rocks, good for providing lots of surface area for your bacteria but not so good at removing nitrates unless you can induce anaerobic conditions

Depends for what use, I like Seachem products

If a fry can fit into a guppy's mouth then probably will get eaten

Similar species, easy to mix up? .

Probably because it's a Friday night and people are watching TV lol

If people know your parameters, then they can help you better, hence the questions. You should definitely get one though

Hope this helps!

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Generally it's best to introduce fish that don't have flowing fins your betta might get tempted to nip at
That also goes the other way 'round. It's a good idea to avoid fish that will try and nip at the long flowing fins of the betta.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Brine shrimp and fairy shrimp are closely related. Brine shrimp are salt and fairy are fresh. Only difference. Not sure who you are referring to but some members are pretty well versed.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks.
@nikm128 Iycho has already ripped a piece of Yoshiki's tail off when attempting a divider. My child has become more of a brat over the months I've had him.
@Fawkes21 I just got platies and I have a navy of guppies so that's why I was asking about the plappies because molly and platy, guppy and platy, etc mixes (minus guppies and endlers) are not usually given as straight answers when I searched it up.

@david1978 I have a thread asking about Iycho's choice in tastes. I somewhat like fairy more than brine oddly so I thought a snack for him (that I won't sulk about him killing) living in the tank would be a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea fairy shrimp you can try to raise and breed in freshwater. Some dense areas will help. Guppies can't breed with Platies. Endler, guppies and mollies can. Platies can breed with swordtails.

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Assasin snails need to be fed, and that will add to the bio load.
You should not get more fish until you know that your tank is cycled, and your nitrates are staying in a safe zone ideally near 20 ppm.
Betta fish do not always get along with other fish, live bearing fish like guppies and platties are going to be in his territory, and may even nip his fins.
I would not add any chemicals like bacteria at this point. a water conditionar is all you need to add. Let the tank get settled.
Nitrozorb and others are not really the best help. Its hard to say if they do anything, of if the other efforts, like water changes did the job.
I dont like tetra, i hate top fin, API sells loads of snake oil, yes their Testing kit works, but I buy Salifert instead so Im not giving them my money. Aquan, Jager, Marineland, seachum, salifert, new life spectrum. those seem good.
Fish will eat fish that fit in their mouths, Very few species, namely all cichlids, recognize and care for there young.
I answer fast, I dont always feel like tyoing appoligetic anicdotes. Telling some what their doing wrong is always going to sound rude, sorry.
Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate, ph, They are the the biggest things invoved in diagnosing the broblem with your fish.

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wanted to touch base on the ammonia/nitrite-reducing rocks and brands a wee bit as I think everyone else's answers for the other questions sufficed.

If we're talking about biomedia (biological media), this is fairly important in concentrating the beneficial bacteria in a place where the tank water runs through a few to several times over, breaking down ammonia and nitrite into a less toxic form in the process. With that said, biological filtration is arguably the most important type of filtration.

As for the brand combos, I don't think anyone will have a definite answer. Ultimately, it's going to come down to what you learn what you like and dislike. Personally, aqueon has pretty good heaters for the price point, and they have a lifetime warranty. API is pretty good for the liquid test kit and a good selection of medication. Otherwise, I don't care much for the other three. They are affordable products that work okay, but there's better stuff on the market. That's just my opinion though, maybe you will find that you like them and that's totally fine.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for all the replies. While I haven’t fully read all of them I do appreciate the support! I’m actually a nerd of biology and genetics, I somewhat like to have my guppies breeding because of the outcomes and who they are related to. My main aquarium is the 29 gallon Tetra brand tank. I’ve noticed behavioural differences between guppies and Platies over the almost 24 hours since I bought the platies. While I am new to being a true aquarium hobbyist, I find this kind of motivation in raising fish.

Kevin56

Reaction score
Ok yeah I should have came here in the first place but I didn't really look at all of the forum.
The basic run down is I wanted Ranchu goldfish but later found out at a PetLand that they are advanced fish and of course I have just started high school. Got my betta named Iycho, I named him after a female character named Aiko in a game called Corpse Party. Later on during March 2019 named my second betta, Yoshiki, he's named after another character from the same game series.

Got guppies after Christmas and minus one that died I had five males. In January I got two pregnant females Mamba and Echo, the next day after I purchased them (on Friday Jan. 11th). Later finally got a 29 gallon tank where my fish navy (because it's in the water) lives. I slightly got a massive bio load in there but I do water changes and filter cleaning.

My questions.
Will assassin snails hunting cause ammonia spikes?
Can I get Plappies? (Guppy and Platy mix)
How do I rehabilitate my attitude equivalent betta? Should I use female guppies as the fish of choice?
How much is too much beneficial bacteria to pour in?
Are those ammonia and nitrate removal rocks effective/affective?
Which brand combo is better? Tetra, TopFin, and API or Aqueon and Marina?
Why do people answer me about brine when I ask about fairy shrimp as live food?
Will there be a 70% or more chance Platies eat guppy fry?
Why does only one person answer my thread and I guess act like a know-it-all?
(no offence for that one I just wanted to ask if they're aware)
Why do I keep getting asked about my water nitrate, Ph, etc? I don't have a kit (yet)! I would explain in the original post if I knew the aquarium's status and health.
(I'll ask more in the replies)
As far as guppy eating the fry I'm seen of it had 2 give birth a weak apart got 7 from 1st and 2 from second the rest got eaten. Strange thing the babies from second birth we 1/2 as big as the first one.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As far as guppy eating the fry I'm seen of it had 2 give birth a weak apart got 7 from 1st and 2 from second the rest got eaten. Strange thing the babies from second birth we 1/2 as big as the first one.
Yeah sometimes that seems to happen with genetics for guppies. Mamba (one of my original females I purchased), has only 3/10 offspring alive currently. Though Mamba died of ich and other causes. I love genetics and some parts of biology, so guppies really bring out the nerd in me.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom