Dividing the Aquarium to Prevent Breeding

sheilajean762

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can you put in an effective divider to separate the male from the females in a ten gallon tank or does the male have to be completely in a different tank? My mom gave my daughter 4 fish and based on pictures on the website I think I've narrowed them down to 3 female swordtails and one male. I've had so many babies it's unreal.... I have babies in a separate tank now but I live 50 miles from a store that might take them, I can't keep this up!

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
sheilajean762 said:
Can you put in an effective divider to separate the male from the females in a ten gallon tank or does the male have to be completely in a different tank? My mom gave my daughter 4 fish and based on pictures on the website I think I've narrowed them down to 3 female swordtails and one male. I've had so many babies it's unreal.... I have babies in a separate tank now but I live 50 miles from a store that might take them, I can't keep this up!

If you start your own thread, you'll get a lot more responses. Sword tails get too big and breed too much for a 10g, that's part of your problem. I don't think a divider would be a good idea in a such a small tank. Maybe you can post an add on craigslist for free feeder fish? that might help drop your baby population. Also, you could leave the babies in the main tank so some of them get eaten.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here is your new thread.

If you would be so kind, please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This will aid others with their responses.

To access the Profile, click on My Settings in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Aquarium Info. Be sure to hit SAVE Changes at the bottom of the page when you are done.

Thanks!

Ken

OP
S

sheilajean762

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I appreciate the help, I think once I give the babies away to the pet store I will just put the male in his own tank! Thank you!

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sheilajean762 said:
I appreciate the help, I think once I give the babies away to the pet store I will just put the male in his own tank! Thank you!
Good idea! He cann stay in 10 gallon alone. Females can have their own 20g.

New Threads