Dividing a tank for bettas..fun and low cost

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
damprye said:
Would dividing a 6ft tank work? Does anyone have any idea roughly how many gallons that is ???
Sorry, don't know if it would work for a 6 ft tank or not.
To figure out how many gallons it is, measure the tank and use this:
Aquarium Calculator or you should have a calculator at the bottom of this page.

BethanyJupiter

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks so much! I've been looking for a good way to divide my tank.
I'm wondering how you keep them secure to the side of the tank? Are they just in tight enough that they can't be moved..?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Bethany welcome to FishLore!!
Shawnie or one of the other members who have divided a tank can probably answer this better, but I believe it's cut so it's tight enough that it doesn't move and the binders help to hold it securely in place.

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How close can you put bare plastic canvas to a florescent light (with glass and plastic hood) before it melts? If I ever get around to setting up my 20g, I'm going to try to elongate the dividers and shape them at the top so they fit as snugly as possible out of the water so the fish can't jump, but I can fill the tank all the way.

Looks like you can get 50 report covers and sliding bar spines for USD $8.00 on Walmart's website. Here's a link.

stefjane

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for this thread Shawnie! It's giving me ideas on how to divide my 7g tank. The only problems are that it has a bowed front and I'm in Australia...but I should be able to do something similar

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmmm... Just a thought, but if I did this and doubled up the mesh divider so that the holes weren't so big (hopefully), does anyone think this could work to temporarily divide a betta tank so that a portion of it could be a fry tank?

I'm thinking it probably wouldn't because the holes would still be too big and the fry could fit through them...

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Paigee said:
Hmmm... Just a thought, but if I did this and doubled up the mesh divider so that the holes weren't so big (hopefully), does anyone think this could work to temporarily divide a betta tank so that a portion of it could be a fry tank?

I'm thinking it probably wouldn't because the holes would still be too big and the fry could fit through them...
Plastic canvas comes in different sizes. The most popular is size 7. This means there are 7 squares in every inch. 14 count plastic canvas is the smallest made. It has 14 squares per inch. According to a site I'll link below, it only comes in clear, black, and white. I don't know the size of the fry you were planning to put in the tank, but you could go to a craft store and see is this is small enough. What type of fry were you thinking of? Betta? I have no experience with betta fry, and I don't know how old they would be in your divided tank. I think younger fry would still be too small, but if they're older, maybe. It might be worth your while to go check it out.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
great advice from everyone
We are going to close this thread, but by all means if you have more questions, just begin a new thread

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom