Dividing a tank for bettas..fun and low cost

Molly11

New Member
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
Points
78
Experience
Just started
so you used no silicone whatsoever for the dividers?? We just rescued a Betta from my cousin(a teen who has no desire to actually care for a fish). So now we're transforming our 5.5 gallon into two for Scrooge and Mr. Fishie.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #22

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Messages
23,009
Reaction score
180
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
Molly11 said:
so you used no silicone whatsoever for the dividers?? We just rescued a Betta from my cousin(a teen who has no desire to actually care for a fish). So now we're transforming our 5.5 gallon into two for Scrooge and Mr. Fishie.
silicone can be used...but you dont need it if you cut it properly, and use the blue plastic binder holders...bettas can dig under , jump over, and squeeze through the sides..so make sure its secure
 

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,946
Reaction score
58
Points
293
Experience
2 years
I have a question. Is there something you can use in lieu of the report binder clip things? I have looked EVERYWHERE (Walmart, K-Mart, Target, Office Max, and Staples...which are pretty much all my choices) and can't find anything even remotely similar to them. I know what they are because I've used them before ages ago, but for some reason I can't find them. I need to divide one of my 10gals soon and need to temporarily divide my 29gal (until my 55gal gets up and cycled), but I don't want to pay $7-10+ for a divider. Thanks!
 

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Messages
901
Reaction score
16
Points
113
Experience
3 years
read this a few days ago, thanks so much! i couldn't find any blue binder clips so i just siliconed a canvas into the tank. I was worried it wouldn't stay put but it's in there solidly. I also wanted my tank water level to the top, and not 2-3 inches below the top for jumpers, so I cut and custom fit canvas to the top of the tank to prevent jumpers. I don't have any bettas in there yet but should in about a week or so
 

spoiledbetta

New Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Points
76
Experience
5 years
cajunfiberco said:
read this a few days ago, thanks so much! i couldn't find any blue binder clips so i just siliconed a canvas into the tank. I was worried it wouldn't stay put but it's in there solidly. I also wanted my tank water level to the top, and not 2-3 inches below the top for jumpers, so I cut and custom fit canvas to the top of the tank to prevent jumpers. I don't have any bettas in there yet but should in about a week or so
why didnt you jsut end up buying jsut 2 binder things?
 

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Messages
659
Reaction score
2
Points
178
Experience
2 years
This looks great! Exactly what I'm going to do. I have a male and a female that I want to put in a divided tank to save on power. So, I should just have the heater on one side, and the filter on another, and that will be okay for both of them?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #31

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Messages
23,009
Reaction score
180
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
keep the heater and filter in the middle of the tank and add a small air stone on the side without the filter...that way you have water movement on both sides and residue wont build up
 

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Messages
659
Reaction score
2
Points
178
Experience
2 years
so, one on either side of the divider, just very close to it? (forgive me, sometimes I need things kinda spelled out >< haha I'm so neurotic with my animal children.) Thank you for answering so quickly! =)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #33

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Messages
23,009
Reaction score
180
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
Je55*e said:
so, one on either side of the divider, just very close to it? (forgive me, sometimes I need things kinda spelled out >< haha I'm so neurotic with my animal children.) Thank you for answering so quickly! =)
dont be sorry and yes that can work ..I like to keep my heaters where water circulates around them ...just dont put it too close to the plastic mesh
 

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,946
Reaction score
58
Points
293
Experience
2 years
Is there a way to get the dividers to stay firmly in place without siliconing them? I want to eventually get a 20gL and divide it for the boys, but until then I have the 10gals for them (two of them). I would like to either be able to sell the 10gal I have these DIY dividers in or use the tank for something else once I get the 20gL, and I can't really do that if I have six binder clips siliconed in place. lol I really only have one that moves and already I've had the boys get in with each other because the divider fell (my new red male with the rayed anal and dorsal fins, Edward, got part of his tail savaged by Gordon, my son's betta who is half Edward's size). I've tried shoring the gravel up on either side of it, but it doesn't seem to help. Thanks!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #35

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Messages
23,009
Reaction score
180
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
bassbonediva said:
Is there a way to get the dividers to stay firmly in place without siliconing them? I want to eventually get a 20gL and divide it for the boys, but until then I have the 10gals for them (two of them). I would like to either be able to sell the 10gal I have these DIY dividers in or use the tank for something else once I get the 20gL, and I can't really do that if I have six binder clips siliconed in place. lol I really only have one that moves and already I've had the boys get in with each other because the divider fell (my new red male with the rayed anal and dorsal fins, Edward, got part of his tail savaged by Gordon, my son's betta who is half Edward's size). I've tried shoring the gravel up on either side of it, but it doesn't seem to help. Thanks!
if they are cut properly for a snug fit, and cut the binders as well, you shouldnt have slippage....putting them in with a bare bottom tank and then adding the subtrate of choice, makes them much more sturdy as well ...mine are not siliconed either
 

Dolphini

Valued Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
0
Points
101
Experience
2 years
I had the same problem with them somehow (MAGICALLY) completely switching sides twice! And then Opal got in with Bleu twice after that. So I had to adjust the binder clips and make sure they're right up against the wall. There were a couple places where they might squeeze through, so I took some squares of the mesh I had cut off, cut them to size, and them 'sewed' them onto the existing mesh with plastic twist ties (just thread them through). I also did this to fill a gap in the top where the lid is so they can't jump that either. So far no mishaps.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #37

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Messages
23,009
Reaction score
180
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
bassbonediva said:
I re-adjusted it yesterday after the it appears to be holding really well. Unfortunately, the tank was already set up and established, so removing the substrate wasn't an option. Anyway, everyone is happy where they are (Edward even built a bubble nest!! My first one ever from any of my boys!), so there they will stay. Thanks, guys!
im glad its working better! but you can move the subtrate with your fingers to make sure the dividers are sitting on bare tank then move the subtrate back against the dividers...many bettas can dig under and find spaces like its no tomorrow
 

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,946
Reaction score
58
Points
293
Experience
2 years
That's what I ended up doing this time. I had pushed the divider down into the substrate before, but when I redid it, I actually moved the gravel away, then put it back after the canvas was touching the glass bottom of the tank.
 

midthought

Well Known Member
Messages
601
Reaction score
14
Points
113
Experience
Just started
I just did this to divide my 10g! So economical. I spent:

.89 jumbo paper clip
.89 jumbo paper clip
.49 binder
.49 binder
.39 quickcount plastic mesh

for a grand total of $3.15!

I straightened out the jumbo paper clips (originally about 1" across and maybe 4" tall) to attach the binders to the side. It worked out beautifully actually. And by that I mean it worked out well, not that it was aesthetically pleasing...

I got everything but the plastic mesh from an office supply store, and the plastic mesh from Michael's (a craft/hobby store).
 

Attachments

damprye

Valued Member
Messages
133
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
Just started
Would dividing a 6ft tank work? Does anyone have any idea roughly how many gallons that is ???
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom