dividing a tank for bettas #2

• Thread starter Jayfeather9
  • Start date

Jayfeather9

Well Known
ok well this other thread:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...ing-a-tank-for-bettas-fun-and-low-cost.46452/

Left off saying:

" if you have any questions just start a new thread"

well I have a few questions.
how do the report binder things help hold it still and how does the canvas not bend? I would really appreciate a step by step vid on how to do this!
or step by sep instructions and a list of materials.
also how many condos would fit in a 20 gallon? I'm guessing no more than 4 right?
thanks

Lucy

The binders slip onto the sides of the craft sheets which help keep them stiff.
The thread shows a 20 long divided.

Firefly's Love

I just divided my 14 gal... here's some websites I found...

If it's a 20 Long, you can do four, otherwise, three. The general rule is no less than 8 inches of lateral swimming space.

Also worthy to note, do a double layer of mesh, mine's white, and the boys can't see each other. And keep girls and boys in separate tanks.

Jayfeather9

Well Known
thanks firefly that 2nd link really helped.
by the way I set this thread up cause the other one closed.

Lucy

Jayfeather9 said:
by the way I set this thread up cause the other one closed.
The other thread is closed since different questions were being addresses from and by different members.

Each situation is unique it's best to start a new thread so members can address individual questions.

ScottyGunz

The "Dividing a tank for bettas..fun and low cost" thread was saying that it was going to be approx. $12. I know the point is low cost, but you can get tank dividers for the same price or less online. Search on amazon or eBay if you want one already put together. If you already have the materials then never mind

Do you have a 20 gal long or high? It makes a difference for sizing.

Firefly's Love

ScottyGunz said:
The "Dividing a tank for bettas..fun and low cost" thread was saying that it was going to be approx. $12. I know the point is low cost, but you can get tank dividers for the same price or less online. Search on amazon or eBay if you want one already put together. If you already have the materials then never mind

Do you have a 20 gal long or high? It makes a difference for sizing.
My two cost about four bucks, all told. Of course I didn't end up using caulk, I used fishing line instead. Also, if your tank isn't a standard size, or you want to adjust then, it's far easier to do it yourself. That's not to say the prefab ones aren't good, it was just more convenient to make my own. That's just me. Besides. I got to play with fishingline, and when is THAT not fun?

Jayfeather9

Well Known
I want to divide either a 20 gallon long or a 10 gallon long

Firefly's Love

Jayfeather9 said:
I want to divide either a 20 gallon long or a 10 gallon long
Do the 20! Do the 20! (*evil betta bug enabler laughter*)

You can get four! OR BETTER, DO BOTH! Lol, I love my divided tank.

Jayfeather9

Well Known
I know I have this 20 gallon with a hood and light in the basement but my mom wants to use it as a pond plant vivarium for winter!

I would (I don't know if I can) put my heater and filter in the 20 gallon and transefer my betta over there now that both my platys died and I can move the young baby to the 65 when its bigger.

also this one seems better,more durable, more stable and I find it nicer looking:

Firefly's Love

The only real difference seems to be a clip to hold it on, just from quickly scanning it.

If you did choose to make your own, you can use paper clips, although mine stays up of its own accord, and I've even seen whole sheets of plastic canvas by itself.

Jayfeather9

Well Known
no this one used the side holding pieces from dividers from petsmart but didnt use the clear glass but vinyl siding. it looks nice plus the side things are nicer looking then binder clips

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known
I have had the one from petsmart and one I did by myself and IMO the DIY divider was sturdier and way more cost effective (about 2$).

The one from petsmart is much thicker and restricts water flow pretty heavily. Whilst the DIY does allow for customization e.g. mine is black.

Jayfeather9

Well Known
I said use the side holding pieces, the blue things, and then instead of the glass/plastic I use vinyl siding with holes like the last page of the link I posted.

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known
My bad, I thought you were planning on using the one from petsmart.

Jayfeather9

Well Known
NO WAY IN !!! I'll have floating bodies with stress lines in 5 hours!!!!!!!
just the blue side things then some white vinyl siding with holes

Jayfeather9

Well Known
Okay, I divided my tank and it is right now housing cloyde my CT. I plan to get some bettas from Thailand but the trans shipper charges a lot so I will have to see. I want to post some pics but I need help. Can any one tell me how to post pictures on my I pod?

Jayfeather9

Well Known
I just got a betta off aquabid for one of the 2 available spaces I have in my divided tank!!!!
He's from Thailand so I'm really excited for when he arrives.
Here's some pics from the auction:

Top Bottom