Divided Tank Worries - Flow And Plants 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Demeterite, Feb 11, 2019.

1. DemeteriteValued MemberMember

I recently divided my 10-gal tank because I found a new male betta I just needed in my life.

I purchased the only divider option the store carried - which is clear - and plan on eventually replacing it with some black craft mesh. I stuck yellow and purple fake plants in there temporarily to help block a little bit of the view.

In the meantime, I'm concerned about the water flow between the two sides. I use a sponge filter so it only fits on one side of the tank. That side has some gentle current and a bubbling surface.

The right side of the tank, with the new betta, does not. It's still, and almost looks like a film is forming on the surface.

Any advice to fix the flow issue? Would adding a bubbler on the right side be enough?

IMG_20190204_092631.jpg

IMG_20190204_092709.jpg

Weird side note: I bought 4 banana plants at the same time. The plants on the left are growing like crazy, sending off new stalks and huge leaves. The ones on the right haven't grown more than an inch. Also, my pesky ramshorn snails seem to be eating the plants on the right, but not the ones on the left. What gives?

Here's the back of the tank:
    IMG_20190204_092645.jpg

Bonus picture of the reason I felt the need to divide my tank:

IMG_20190204_092603.jpg

2. Ann DanielWell Known MemberMember

Would purchase another sponge filter for the other side. And no idea on the banana plant..mine has shoots galore but wont get tall lol

3. DemeteriteValued MemberMember

I have an extra in my 20-gal I could move over, but it takes up SO MUCH ROOM in such a tiny tank!

It's just so weird because half of them are fine and half aren't!

4. missmelanie83New MemberMember

I run two smaller sponge filters on each side of my divided 10 gallon tank...it seems to work well. I have the divider from  . 1EE4324A-503F-4F1A-988E-026F9C8E4BF6.jpeg
    CB3D3F12-8D4D-49E8-BB14-EDBD57D96C58.jpeg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice