Divided tank scaping challenge!

1. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I have it set in my mind that I am going to make the ultimate divided betta show tank. Problem is that divided tanks, look too, well divided.

I'm trying to find a hardscape that will distract the eye from the dividers, and I think these rocks with their own straight lines are perhaps the best bet. I'm looking for any comments or suggestions. I intend to do more with the manzanita too, perhaps making it look like branches go through the dividers, if I can do it without making them permanently attached to them, I think that would cause too much hassle.

Suggestions can also include plants, but note that the plants in there right now are just temporary until I make up my mind exactly what I want to do. I do not see a way to come up with the typical focal area that is part of a normal scape, but I don't think this is all important in this case.

Attached Files:

2. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Isn't that too limited of space?

3. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Do you mean for the bettas? More is always better but 3.3 gallons isn't too bad and they have a bit of back and forth space from the back to front of the tank. Considering the number of bettas a breeder has, this is a pretty good compromise considering they likely be in a jar otherwise.

4. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Oh....... sorry for the dumb question.

5. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

FB, could you replace the divider material with clear lexan ?

6. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Well, it was clear Lexan until I painted it. Considering how narrow the compartments are, I think it is too stressful for completely clear dividers. They hardly stop flaring as it is with the clear space in front, at least this way when they get tired of it they can retire.

7. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

It's so funny you posted this.... I've been giving this some thought recently. So here are my unfiltered thoughts....

Call me crazy, but what if you laid out a landscape, then chose a divider that you could cut precise holes and shapes into.

Hear me out. You could have a beautiful moss carpet (Pelia or Fissidens maybe) with sloping hills and reiyu stones. After the scaping is complete, take the dividers and shape them around the landscape, cutting to match the lay of the land. It would be an iwagumi scape with multiple bettas! You would have the illusion of a single tank, but still have it compartmentalized.

If you choose to do this and accomplish it, remember who suggested it! :-D

8. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

It's the opposite approach to what I was thinking. That is to get a large driftwood or rock centerpiece and cut the centerpiece into slices. Obviously driftwood would be easier to cut, although the rock would be more effective I think. Both ways have their challenges to get them to look right.

Trickier yet would be to hand paint the dividers to blend in with the decor, rather than a solid color like I have, paint them to match the plants or whatever that are on either side of the divider at that particular spot.

I think my dividers how they are would look better with a little algae, but a little algae is hard to control and so far I've been cleaning it off.

9. Watermark Member Member

hmmmmmmmmmmm

10. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Little male bettas in jars. This is how they live until they get big enough to sell, or earn a place in a tank as a future breeder. Even in jars they take up a lot of space. I wish I could give them somewhere bigger.

Jars.jpg

11. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Its like a Betta Costco :) You walk in, start choosing and before you know it, you spent all your money

12. Vongchanh25 Member Member

Have every section completely different it will give it all kinds of flare

13. Anthony10 Member Member

How often do you have to clean those jars?!?

-Anthony

14. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I think I am going to keep it really simple and use only a few different plants. Seems any kind of rosette plant such as the crypts do not look good in there because they look cramped between the narrow sections.

I'm just going to use these plants, all but the hairgrass are already in there, the others just slightly rearranged. I'm hoping the simplicity of the aquascape will help connect all the sections together.

I'm still open to suggestions for improvement.

Wisteria
    Marsilea Quadrifolia (clover)
    Lemon Bacopa
    Ludwigia Repens
    Dwarf Hairgrass

img002.jpg

15. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I think your plan will look spectacular. Nice selection of plants. Definitely picked some of my favorites. I'm trying to imagine looking at your tank head on and I can see the flow from one set of background plants to the other. The Ludwiga will add some nice color. The uniform foreground plant will really create that illusion, imo.

I think if you managed to slope the substrate from right to left (or from the back corner to the front corner diagonally), even just slightly, you may get even more of the continuity effect you're going for.

This is just one example of what I'm talking about, but you could of course adapt it to your plant selection.
    http://www.akvaryumkurmak.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/iwagumi-2.jpg

16. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

You might be able to use magnets glued to rocks to make them appear to be one rock divided by the divider. Same idea with the manzanita and since they are lighter weight perhaps easier.
    You could also take a small container - cut it in half for either side of a divider. You could have several manzanita branches in silicon in each half covered with gravel to hide the silicon.
    Place a base of branches on either side & cover with gravel.
    How about sort of a camo type paint scheme painted in shades of green & a little brown to look like grasses to blend background & dividers.
    It is definitely a great set-up for 6 lucky boysâ˜ș

17. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Ok, well I have it planted like I want, we'll see how it looks after it has had time to grow in and mature. I may add some manzanita, but I want to see it grow in some first. I'm working on several other tanks simultaneously and this one has had enough of my attention for now.

RPV_0024.jpg

18. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Very nice!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

19. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

All the slots could have different colored bettas!

20. Anthony10 Member Member

Make the dividers rock! In other words, the dividers would be made of flat slate rock that has no holes, that way the betta can't see eachother! I love mondo grass, kinda like your normal garden grass that you can buy.

-Anthony