Divided Tank Question

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
So many are talking about divided tanks and I would really like to have both of my male bettas in a divided tank, and both of my females in a divided tank. Or, I could have 1 female betta and 1 male betta in each tank.  My question is, can you have otos or catfish in the tank with them? If so how many on each side? I would like to have 2 otos or 2 catfish on each side.  If I did, would it make my 10 gallon tank too crowded?  I figure that there would be a total of  no more than 12 inches of fish in a ten gallon tank.  Is that possible if I do more frequent water changes?  ??? Also, is there more than 1 type of tank divider? If so which divider works the best?

CherryRose 

AesSedai

Reaction score
((cherryrose))

I have a 10 gal too and, for me, that would be too crowded. I don't count on 10 total inches of fish though. I think you need to deduct some for the plants, decoration and gravel (I did). For my tank, I've decided that I have 8 total inches of fish that I can add.

See what others here have to say. Maybe it'd be ok (like with the extra water changes you're willing to do, don't know).

I don't use a divider, although I bought one. I do know from reading here that a very important consideration with dividers is that there be no room at all for the Betta to jump from one side to the other. You'll hear that again when others post to your thread I'm sure.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In a 10 gallon tank that would work I think with Otos (not cories or other cats, they get too big and 2 cories and one betta are enough for that sized tank.) Now I am going to have some people disagree with me on this and we will welcome a debate of sorts but I have 2 otos and a betta in each of my five gallon tanks so how do I say it won't work when it does at my home every day. There are a good 50% water change done on each tank at least one time a week and the gravel maintenance will be important to keep up or you will have fin rot problems. Ammonia testing needs to be done about 3 times a week until you are sure that they are not building up more ammonia than they can deal with or you will need to do 2 water changes a week.

It is going to be a squeeze but I do believe it can be done. Just takes work.

Rose

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
I agree with Rose that you should be okay with a couple of Ottos and one Betta on each side of a divided 10 gallon. It basically becomes 2 five gallon tanks... I wouldn't go with more than 2 Ottos on each side (4 altogether) and one Betta on each side. I prefer to be a little more conservative and go with the 1 inch of fish per 2-2 1/2 gallons of water rule, even though many places will tell you 1 inch per gallon. This is especially true for Bettas who don't like to be crowded. Also if you are going to have this many fish, you NEED two filters, one for each side. I have found that I need a small underwater filter for each of the two sections of my 3 way split female tank (and one section has the main filter in it), otherwise it gets pretty dirty. With a 2 way split 10 gallon you have room for two HOB filters but for smaller tanks or 3 way split the Whisper 3I or 10I is quite small and completely in the water and just suctions to the back of the tank. They are super quiet, don't disturb the water surface and keep things clean.

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers everyone. I have been gone all day and have just now gotten onto the computer. I will put two otos and one betta on each side. Should I do a boy on one side of the tank and a girl on the other? Also, I still need to know about tank dividers. Is there more than one kind and if so which is the best?

CherryRose

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
Definitely put one boy and one girl in each tank. While two girls will be just fine in a divided tank, two boys will just flare and stress each other out so since you have two of each, you can do boy/girl tanks.
The only tank dividers I've ever seen are the ones made by Penn Plax . They're good because they go up high and if you get a glass canopy there should be no space to jump through. There may be other brands out there but I've never used them so I couldn't tell you if they were good. The Penn Plax divider has tiny holes in it so the water flows through freely. I wouldn't get anything that is solid with no holes. Put your heater right next to the divider and put an airstone under or beside it and it will distribute warm water on both sides. You shouldn't need more than one heater. Have thermometers on both sides to monitor temp.
If you have the standard rectangle shaped 10 gallon tank the smallest divider will fit. You'll need to trI'm the side a little as I found it about 1/2 inch too wide. If the divider fits snug you may not even need the metal holding clips. The clips will prevent you from fitting the top on properly, which is why the glass canopy is better. Just make sure the divider IS snug and can't be pushed over by a fish. They aren't that strong so they shouldn't be able to.  I've heard that the dividers for the larger tanks don't fit (are too short) but the ten gallon ones do fit with a little trimming.

shollia

Reaction score
Thank YOU for posting this topic!
I've been wanting 2 5 gallon tanks.. but if it comes out cheaper (and easier to maintain) just to get a 10gal and divide it.. I'm gonna do that instead

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good Idea!! I think I am going to sticky this post to the top of the Board so others will read and get the benefit of it. (the one about homemade tank dividers with mesh plastic canvas)

Rose

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
LOL I saw my post in the sticky note area and wondered what on earth I had done wrong that made it appear up there. What a relief to find that I hadn't done anything wrong and it was supposed to be up there! ;D ;D ;D

I am glad that my idea will be able to be used by other Betta lovers. Thank you very much, and enjoy! 8)

CherryRose

New Threads