divided tank question

1. STLBluesFan Member Member

so as i said earlier in a post.. in my 10 gallon tank, i plan on dividing it and putting a male and female betta in... and i think im going to do the mesh from walmart and binder holder things to make the divider... now the question i have about this is... the heater and filter? should there be a heater and filter on each side? or since its just a 10 gallon and the mesh has holes itd be fine on just one side? ive been arguing with myself on this for a couple hours on this.

2. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I like having the filter on one end of the tank(on the side, not the back) this way the out flow pushes the water through the divider, put the heater near by to get the heat to circulate.

3. STLBluesFan Member Member

well the problem i have with that is.. the hood with the lights that came with the kit doesnt allow the filter to go anywhere but on the back left

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I had one on the back side...and air stones/wands to move the water around, on each compartment :)

5. STLBluesFan Member Member

so pretty much, i could have a filter on one side, and the heater by the filter... and put an air stone on the other?

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

yes:)

7. STLBluesFan Member Member

and the filter will keep the other side just as clean as the side of tank the filter is on? lol, sorry for being complicated

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

dont be sorry....thats what the site is for :)
    bettas arent dirty fish so its more for filtering the water and keeping it circulating... as long as you dont overfeed (thats hard with begging bettas) and you keep up with tank maintenance, it will be fine

9. STLBluesFan Member Member

yeah, i have nls thera A food. i was thinking 3-4 pellets, twice a day

10. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

NLS is good food. I have a divided 10 gallon currently, and my hood also prevents me from moving the filter. The only things I've noticed are 1) the side without the filter/heater is a smidgen warmer and 2) since the divider traps the current on one side, it's definitely much more swift on that side. I'm not sure if you've decided on types of bettas, but longer-finned varieties have a harder time swimming in swift currents.

11. STLBluesFan Member Member

well i could put a female on the filter side

12. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Did you ever divide the tank? Any photos?

13. STLBluesFan Member Member

sadly.. no. my wife talked me into getting some ADF's. and then when we got a betta.. the betta bullied the frogs... so we took the betta to a LFS where i knew they wuldnt just put him in a cup or a bowl.