Divided tank: pea puffers and betta?

Bettatakeover

My daughter is getting a 20G long for Xmas and has expressed an interest in pea puffers. She has 2 10G tanks each with a betta and a mystery snail. One 10G is going to be dismantled and become our quarantine tank.

Could she do a 5G betta snd a 15G pea puffer (about 5 puffers) split? They seem to like similar water conditions and I thought the betta might be less stressed with non betta roommates. Again this would be a divided tank using a dark mesh divider so both species can benefit from the more stable parameters. A sponge on each side.

Or would it be better to have the boys together and use the 10G for 2-3 puffers

AggressiveAquatics

I’m not sure if this could be done. But my input would just be to do the 20 as only pea puffers because you already have two bettas so it might be better to let the puffers have it to themselves. But this is your tank so you don’t have to listen to me.

Upvote 0

ahouseofscales

My daughter is getting a 20G long for Xmas and has expressed an interest in pea puffers. She has 2 10G tanks each with a betta and a mystery snail. One 10G is going to be dismantled and become our quarantine tank.

Could she do a 5G betta snd a 15G pea puffer (about 5 puffers) split? They seem to like similar water conditions and I thought the betta might be less stressed with non betta roommates. Again this would be a divided tank using a dark mesh divider so both species can benefit from the more stable parameters. A sponge on each side.

I'm doing it in my 10 gal right now. It's working fine. The only thing I would caution is to use a sturdy divider (not one of the store bought ones). I made one custom out of a piece of lexan coated in plastidip with holes drilled in the top for water flow. If you use a mesh divider the puffers could chew through it. I would also say to make sure your tank is well cycled and has a good filter if you're going to do that. Eventually I want to get my betta his own tank and add a couple puffers to the 10 gal but for now they are both doing fine and aren't showing signs of stress.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

If I were you, I would split the 20 long between the 2 bettas and add some schooling fish to each side. Then, I would do a heavily planted 10g with 3 pea puffers.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Keep in mind that downgrading the betta to a smaller swimming space may induce stress. I’ve experienced this issue and dealt with bad tail biting. For me personally lesson learned I dont feel comfortable keeping a betta in anything less than a 10 gallon now. It depends on the betta. I agree tht you may need to build your own divider to make sure it’s extra sturdy though.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Keep in mind that downgrading the betta to a smaller swimming space may induce stress. I’ve experienced this issue.
That's why I proposed the equal space, but still having pea puffers.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

That's why I proposed the equal space, but still having pea puffers.
Oh I see I was still typing when you posted. I totally agree thats a great idea! As long as the bettas are both males or both females.

Upvote 0

Bettatakeover

I'm doing it in my 10 gal right now. It's working fine. The only thing I would caution is to use a sturdy divider (not one of the store bought ones). I made one custom out of a piece of lexan coated in plastidip with holes drilled in the top for water flow. If you use a mesh divider the puffers could chew through it. I would also say to make sure your tank is well cycled and has a good filter if you're going to do that. Eventually I want to get my betta his own tank and add a couple puffers to the 10 gal but for now they are both doing fine and aren't showing signs of stress.
It would be the 20G long we divide. We also have a DIY divider of hard plastic crafting mesh we used on the first 10G when the boys were together.
Keep in mind that downgrading the betta to a smaller swimming space may induce stress. I’ve experienced this issue and dealt with bad tail biting. For me personally lesson learned I dont feel comfortable keeping a betta in anything less than a 10 gallon now. It depends on the betta. I agree tht you may need to build your own divider to make sure it’s extra sturdy though.
Yes we originally had a 10G divided and our 1 betta got a little bit of fin rot so we separated them into their own tanks. The only reason I'm thinking of possibly trying again is Sonic is 2 years old now and his fins are SOOOO long (super delta) he doesn't really move to much from from his one little territory (unless we are feeding the snail...then he steals that). He would still have the benefits of the water stability a 20G provides vs a 10G.
If I were you, I would split the 20 long between the 2 bettas and add some schooling fish to each side. Then, I would do a heavily planted 10g with 3 pea puffers.
After what happened to my crowntail in my community tank (fin nipping that got infected) I would not feel comfortable putting Sonic in with other fish. He's just not a good enough swimmer. Even without nipping he would be out competed for food and that would stress him out (he does love his food). Our other dumbo plakat we are thinking of a small school but so far my daughter is not overly fond of the small schooling fish we've seen. She loves her bettas. She wants a sorority but I've heard too many horror stories and she would be devastated to lose all the girls if something went wrong.

Thanks for everyone's input. It is all in the planning/wishlist phase right now so just gathering info.

Upvote 0

aquachris

My recommendation with Pea puffers is different than others.. It is what has worked well for me, and what has worked well for some others I've seen. I believe Pea puffers do better in a minimum shoal of 6... ideally you would have about a 20g long for that (probably could even do 8 in one maybe more depending on plants). In all cases, needs to be heavily planted.

Pea puffers will shoal on occasion. They will also "claim" a territory as their own and chase other peas off. If you look at my profile pic, you will see my 6 murder beans shoaled together. They don't always do this, in fact its a rarity... but every now and then they seem to have "meetings" to take over their food man I think They also don't like huge water flow, but need very good clean water (low nitrates), and heavily planted. More planted the better (they will claim little territories this way, its funny).

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

It would be the 20G long we divide. We also have a DIY divider of hard plastic crafting mesh we used on the first 10G when the boys were together.

Yes we originally had a 10G divided and our 1 betta got a little bit of fin rot so we separated them into their own tanks. The only reason I'm thinking of possibly trying again is Sonic is 2 years old now and his fins are SOOOO long (super delta) he doesn't really move to much from from his one little territory (unless we are feeding the snail...then he steals that). He would still have the benefits of the water stability a 20G provides vs a 10G.

After what happened to my crowntail in my community tank (fin nipping that got infected) I would not feel comfortable putting Sonic in with other fish. He's just not a good enough swimmer. Even without nipping he would be out competed for food and that would stress him out (he does love his food). Our other dumbo plakat we are thinking of a small school but so far my daughter is not overly fond of the small schooling fish we've seen. She loves her bettas. She wants a sorority but I've heard too many horror stories and she would be devastated to lose all the girls if something went wrong.

Thanks for everyone's input. It is all in the planning/wishlist phase right now so just gathering info.
I still think it best not to put him into a smaller swimming area. Especially now that you’ve mentioned he previously suffered fin rot when in a smaller space it may have been due to him fin bitting due to stress. Him being older and having longer fins won’t make a difference. If the betta becomes ill due to stress it will put the puffers at risk as well. Can I ask why you need a quarantine tank? If the pea puffers are the only new arrivals are you able to quarantine them in the 20 gallon and keep the bettas in the 10 gals?

Upvote 0

Bettatakeover

I still think it best not to put him into a smaller swimming area. Especially now that you’ve mentioned he previously suffered fin rot when in a smaller space it may have been due to him fin bitting due to stress. Him being older and having longer fins won’t make a difference. If the betta becomes ill due to stress it will put the puffers at risk as well. Can I ask why you need a quarantine tank? If the pea puffers are the only new arrivals are you able to quarantine them in the 20 gallon and keep the bettas in the 10 gals?
We don't have a quarantine tank so it would be nice to have one on hand for new fish for the 38G and in case we have any sick fish. My hubby is pretty adamant that 3 tanks is his maximum right now

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

We don't have a quarantine tank so it would be nice to have one on hand for new fish for the 38G and in case we have any sick fish. My hubby is pretty adamant that 3 tanks is his maximum right now
Oh I see that makes sense

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Then you could do the dumbo plakat with something like ember tetras or neons and the crowntail with nothing else. Have her look at her options since she may like some, but if she doesn't, that's fine.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
EncroachingLoach
  • Question
Replies
Views
BlackOsprey
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Divided tank?