Divided Tank- Betta with Other Types of Fish

NyeAngel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello everyone!

Idk if this has been asked, if it has it mustve been ages ago because I've googled and youtubed and can't seem to find any info on this specifically. So I am familiar with the Divided Betta Tank setup, no questions on that. What I want to do is separate approx 1/3 of my 10 gal (about 3 gals or so) for my betta and then keep the other fish I want on the other side of the divider. Perhaps a school of neons? I worry that 7 gals isn't enough for the to school comfortably though.

Or should I just do the one Betta and 6 Rasboras all together...with a mystery snail and one or two Otto cats? I don't want anything nipping the Betta's fins. That has been my issue. Trying to find fish the Betta will ignore that aren't fin nippers and can tolerate the same temps. I wanted White Cloud Minnows but they are just out of the comfy temp range *sigh*. Thanks in advance.

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you're dividing a ten gal, I would honestly stick with two bettas. Neons are far too active even for a ten gallon and otos need a school of 6 or more.

If you split it to 5 gal each you could try a dwarf puffer.

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to the forum
I wouldn't divide it at all, neons are too active for a 10, and they really aren't temp compatible either. Bettas do best alone, I wouldn't keep one with any fish. If you are set on tankmates, I would upgrade to a 20 long and get a school of cories. A 10 is too small for a betta to have tank mates aside from shrimp and snails. The only thing I would divide it for is another betta, each one getting 5 gallons.

Ottos also need schools of 6+, and so do rasboras. Depending on the species they would also need a larger tank.

NyeAngel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok how abt pgymy cories? I was looking at harlequin rasboras. From what I gather they come from the same locales so they are used to passing each other by. Bettas and rasboras I mean.

NyeAngel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks flowingfins. Its abt time i made it official lol

Geoffrey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bettas do best on their own.

Harlequin rasboras need a minimum of 15-20 gallons. Same with pygmy cories. Although the cories may be small, they're pretty active.

Even though they may live in the same regions, the bodies of water they live in are much larger than 10 gallons so they don't interact much. The betta may flare at the rasboras from its territory and the rasboras will move away without much conflict.

Aichmalotizo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok how abt pgymy cories? I was looking at harlequin rasboras. From what I gather they come from the same locales so they are used to passing each other by. Bettas and rasboras I mean.
Pygmy cories before a larger floor space than a 10 provides. Think they need at least a 15, and preferably a 20

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with the above. I would keep your betta alone. Pygmy's need at minimum a 20 gallon(IMO),they are very active fish. There really aren't any suitable tankmates for a betta in such a small tank. If you want cories, I would upgrade your tank to a 20 long, and get a group of around 8 bottom dwelling cories.

I wouldn't keep harlequins in a 10, they need a school of 6+ as well, so tight there it would be overstocking. Not to mention the fact that they are also active fish.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!
I wouldn't keep any other fish in a 10g with a betta, since you want to divide it that would be tight. Just keep the betta and a bunch of shrimp and snails.
Pygmy cories, neon tetras, and otos all need a 15-20g minimum. What type of rasboras are you talking about?

NyeAngel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Harlequins, Anders. I was going to substitute guppies for a betta but i read that they are sickly quickly. Maybe ill just get a 2.5 for the betta...and a snail lol.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Harlequins also need a 15/20g minimum, however, chili rasboras will work in a 10g.
A 2.5 with a betta would be fine.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, don't do any other fish in a 10g with a betta, if you want to try a betta community than do a 20g.

Geoffrey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I believe Petco is having their dollar per gallon sale right now, so you could get a 20 gallon for $20.

NyeAngel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Funny you should mention that. I just saw that email a few mins ago!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom