Divided Betta Tank?

1. sarah zehowski Member Member

Hey y’all. I’m looking for opinions on dividing my 5 gallon betta tank. I currently have one male.

Should I divide with 2 males?
    Or should I divide with 1 male and 1 female?

Bring on the criticism

Thanks guys
  2. APierce Well Known Member Member

Get a 10 gallon and divide it :) You can put two males side by side but not a male and female unless you plan to breed them. Use the 5 gallon for another betta!

3. sarah zehowski Member Member

I share a room with my 3yr old little boy so I can’t upgrade to a 10 right now lol but I know what you mean. 10 gallon tanks are only about 10$ at my local LFS! I’m dying to get one but no room lol I thought I would give it a go with the 5. We love our fishies we really wanted another one :)
  4. TheCyanDragon Member Member

I had a 10 gallon tank that was divided by 2, well both Bettas died. I then tried again with a 10 gallon divided by 3. Well, one betta has died and one is sick. My older sister also tried a divided tank, it was 20 gallons divided by 3, and one betta got through the divider but luckily she was there and got him before any disasters. Having divided betta tanks was one of my worst decisions, and I really don’t recommend it if you love your fish.

5. sarah zehowski Member Member

Why did yours die??
  6. TheCyanDragon Member Member

I think it was most likely stress. Because each betta wants his own “territory” but can’t do that in a divided tank. I did frequent water changes, so it couldn’t have been bad parameters.
  7. sarah zehowski Member Member

How long did you have them like that before they died? Did they exhibit stressed behavior the whole time until then?

8. TheCyanDragon Member Member

Each of them I had in the divided tanks for about 3 months or a bit less. They never really flared at each other, except for the first week or so and they always seemed lethargic even though the tank had lots of plants.
    I had moved some of them from their divided tanks and gave them their own tank and I saw them become more colorful, active, and overall more happy.
  9. dwarfpufferlover Member Member

Depending on your space available, have you considered building/ buying a small rack? You could easily do one up for cheap or double/triple metal rack and house 3 tanks. I definitely understand space limits... Just some thoughts. I don’t recommend dividend tanks either for the reasons listed above. You can put a 5 gallon tank on most things
  10. motherofbettas Member Member

I'm getting ready to divide my 10 gallon and I think splitting a 5 is a little small and just lead to more problems. Just my two cents, good luck though!

Share Page: