Divided 15 Gallon Hardscape

1. DCJ Member Member

9HsoZ1p.png

Think I've got the hardscape for the divided 15 gallon sorted. I'm using Dennerle 9 in 1 substrate with black sand on top, then various grey speckled and white pebbles, rocks, a flowerpot and fingerwood driftwood pieces. The dividers were a pain to make because apparently it's impossible to find plastic cross-stitch material in the UK - go figure.

I couldn't find a long enough piece for the back so had to overlap a piece, but it's all held together pretty well with the binder spines and held firm to the tank with notches in the plastic that fit snug to the rim. There's a 100W heater along the back of the tank behind the divider and the space is filled with gravel and will have cycled filter media to quick cycle the tank and just provide more places for the BB to live when I get the thing filled with water, so I'm only using one plug to heat the whole tank.

I'm going to use sponge filters in each divided section run off one pump. The two dividers making the three sections are sewn onto the back divider with nylon invisible thread and then reinforced at the bottom and the glass side with binder spines. I'm going to make a lid with two slots to hold the two in place as well to make it doubly firm because they're a bit wobbly at the moment and I don't want any slip-throughs.

Planning on heavy planting, especially in the middle section where the decor is lower.

2. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

It looks nice! Very good use of space.

3. Sean Smith Member Member

What is this for ? Cause I think I should do something like that for a cool Betta tank

4. DCJ Member Member

@maggie thecat thank you very much :) The middle one is driving me crazy, I keep telling myself I just need to be patient and imagine it with plants, lol

@Sean Smith The initial idea is for three bettas; I might put a plakat, short-finned betta or shrimp in the left-most section because of that piece of fingerwood, but I'm not sure yet, I might round the ends off to make them less likely to snag. I was worried about cross-infection but all my other tanks are community tanks and making the dividers watertight defeated the purpose of dividing the water volume in the first place. :)

You can use the idea though. I don't know how it's going to work yet; I've seen a lot of divided tanks but I couldn't find any that were divided with a heater along the back like this. I can't foresee any problems, but I won't know until I get the critters in there.

5. DCJ Member Member

xXvui5S.png

I don't know if this will bump this post, but here's the same 15 divided tank with added hardscape and semi-planted

I was going to bulk it out with some bigger javas but I really like the windelov javas in the middle tank so I might just keep using those. The anubias type in the third compartment which I have already forgotten is going a good job hiding the sponge filter so I might try and scrounge up more of those too. Maybe add some water wisteria? Anything that doesn't want planting is a huge plus, putting those crypts in killed me.