Divided 10 gallon?

MaddieLynn

My 10 gallon already has a filter & heater. My question is, if I divided it and put 1 betta on each side (you can do that, right?) would I have to get another filter to go on the other side of the divider? That would really be a pain...

Amanda

You have a few options:
1 - get another small filter
2 - rotate the filter each week
3 - get airstones for the side without the filter

MaddieLynn

Wouldn't rotating the filter each week be the equivilent of keeping a betta in a 5 gallon with no filter?

Amanda

No, because the water from the filter will still be going through the divider to the other side.

MaddieLynn

Oh... do dividers have holes? I didn't know that.

Amanda

Yes, they're mesh pieces of plastic.

CapeKateskid

hiya.. I have a ten gal. with 2 bettas and a divider. I don't have to filters and have only one heater.. like amanda said the divider has holes in it so the water goes threw just fine. I will say I do a 25 % water change atleast once a week bc the side without the filter does sometimes get a film on the top but don't mistake that for the nest he will build one

bettafish2816

it's possible to get solid glass dividers, but mesh is definitely better for this exact reason!

disturbedme

Hi. I have a 10 gallon divided. One betta on each side and my mystery snail on one side.

I did decide to get two filters though... because the one side does get pretty stagnant and the top of the water looks cruddy while the other side is like crystal clear.

The one side has the 10 gallon filter that came with the tank. And then the other side I went out and bought a Red Sea Nano Filter for it. I think that works best.

Also, I divided them using the clear divider you can buy at petsmart or petco. But the thing is - they'll see each other and flare and try to nip each other through the divider. I ended up going to Michael's and buying needlepoint canvas (decided to get a dark color, black) you can buy for really cheap - like .39 cents or something like that and putting that against the divider. With one needlepoint canvas and the clear divider, they could still see each other but not often and flared... so my hubby and I went back to Michael's and got another needlepoint canvas (a blue one) and put it on the other side. They couldn't see each other at all after that.

I was also told that something good to do and probably easier (than the needlepoint canvas idea) is to take the clear divider you buy and get sandpaper and sandpaper either side and it will make it so they will not be able to see it other. Also, rinse it really well before using it in the tank after sandpapering it!

I did not do this, but I did want to try. But since I had already had the whole tank set up and the needlepoint canvas in, I didn't feel like taking it all out and doing that.

Martinismommy

I have a divided 10 gallon with 2 of my pet boys in it....I rotate the filter weekly and they have been happy for several months now.....

Shawnie

I rotate in my 20 gal long as well as my 10 gal...the compartments that don't have the filter that day, has the airstone in each ..I also use the needlepoint mesh so the holes are big enough to let the water through it to the filter..the airstone is more to keep the top from being mirky

Bubba the Gump

I am wanting to put a divider in my ten gallon to house a betta on each side, curious if anybodys done this and what they used, I was thinking plexiglass but not sure how to secure it without dumping all the water and everything else.

pinkfloydpuffer

At fish stores they usually sell tank dividers.
Word of caution though, I've had fish get around the dividers somehow and have ended up with dead fish. So the more secure you can make the divider the better. I suggest siliconing the divider right to the tank.

bettafish2816

yep i'm with pink, the best way to go about it would be to silicone the divider to the tank, you would have to drain and dry the tank completely if it's full, and it would need to sit dry for at least 24 hours so the silicone sets, but it's definitely worth it for your own peace of mind

cerianthus

Cut out plexI glass from HD and completely seal with Aquarium Sealicone. Thus two independent tank with separate sponge/internal filters. Used to do it when ran out of rearing/breeding/hatching tanks.
Either that or drill bunch of tiny holes on plexI and pump water from one end to the other if want to use one filter Now still 10 G tank rather than two 5 G.
It all depends what you want to achieve.

Bubba the Gump

yup, figured id have to drain and seal the divider....nothings ever easy is it? thanks for the replies

catfishlover123

Well, I would house a male and female bettas on each side. I agree with pinkfloypuffer.

bettafish2816

yup, figured id have to drain and seal the divider....nothings ever easy is it? thanks for the replies

lol, no it certainly never is easy, especially with fish I got a 10 gallon divider from petsmart for about $10, but i'd recommend going with a glass divider if you want to prevent possible disease transmission from one betta to the other. in that case you'd have to set it up as two individual tanks with two filters and two heaters since I don't think that just one heater on one side would be able to keep the temperature on the other side consistent

Bubba the Gump

was the divider you got from petsmart just a plastic deal with holes in it?

bettafish2816

yep that was it, I didnt like the little clips that came with it to attach it to the tank, so ultimately I just went with two 5 gallons and used my 10 gallon for something else, but using silicone should make it work much better

Lucy

Shawnie has a design for making dividers with plastic craft sheets, the kind that allows the water to flow through.
I can't find it...any have the link handy?

catfishlover123

Well, putting a heater and a filter on both sides would be useful because one side would be like a quarantine tank.

JessiNoel21

Well today I took my old 10 gallon and divided it. Goldikova is on one side and I was gonna put Oden on the other but he kept jumping into the space trying to get to Goldikova so I put him back into his 5 gallon. And than I was gonna put Callie but I had to culled her due to her cutting her stomach open on a plastic plant I put in the 30(I have since removed it and burned it that is how mad I was seeing it cut some of the guppies tails too =( they are all getting treated with Kordon Fish Protector ) so now the other side will be for Hudson when he gets here I am getting him from the same place I got Goldikova.

Gordinian

Nope, looks gone! Nice car though

I really like how you divided the tanks, I can't believe I've never seen it before, it looks like such a good idea. I've had a divided tank before, and was always nervous of jumping bettas (though luckily it never happened!)

APColorado

on pic 3, why is there a gap? Are you putting in moss in between?

kinezumi89

I'd be interested on how much you think the Kordon Fish Protector helps your fish's fins heal. My betta cut himself on who knows what in his tank; I'm doing water changes with Prime now (says it helps generate slime coat) but I've been considering getting Fish Protector.

JessiNoel21

on pic 3, why is there a gap? Are you putting in moss in between?

There is a gap in there in case one tries to jump to get to the other. The gap is there so they land in there and not the other side. I found it works really well seeing in a 45 minute time span I found Oden in there 5 times that is why he is back in his 5 gallon he is a little brat as it is lol.

I'd be interested on how much you think the Kordon Fish Protector helps your fish's fins heal. My betta cut himself on who knows what in his tank; I'm doing water changes with Prime now (says it helps generate slime coat) but I've been considering getting Fish Protector.

It works great I have used it for two of my bettas and every time it heals the fins great.

APColorado

Oh, okay. I thought you were using that space for grow out for plants. Very ingenious.

JessiNoel21

I saw it on a DIY post and I always play by the rule better to be safe than sorry.

aquatic

How hard is it to get the fish out of the middle "trap"?

I did something similar with my 10 gallon grow out tank. Instead of putting bursting female guppies in a small net I used that same plastic (from JoAnn's fabric) and sectioned off about 3 gallons for her to relax and drop her fry. I used suction cups to keep the mesh in place and have it go about an inch above the water level level. How is yours staying put, just pressure or the plastic report binder trick?

JessiNoel21

How hard is it to get the fish out of the middle "trap"?

I did something similar with my 10 gallon grow out tank. Instead of putting bursting female guppies in a small net I used that same plastic (from JoAnn's fabric) and sectioned off about 3 gallons for her to relax and drop her fry. I used suction cups to keep the mesh in place and have it go about an inch above the water level level. How is yours staying put, just pressure or the plastic report binder trick?

The binder trick and it is great I used a betta scoop I got off ebay and it worked great to get him out.

bankruptjojo

good idea, why not just keep the water level down?

my tanks have glass tops that almost touch the top of my dividers. so if any of them jump they will smack the lid.

I might have to try fish protector. iv been using stress guard, prime, vita chem and sometimes salt.

JessiNoel21

good idea, why not just keep the water level down?

my tanks have glass tops that almost touch the top of my dividers. so if any of them jump they will smack the lid.

I might have to try fish protector. iv been using stress guard, prime, vita chem and sometimes salt.

Water lvl is 2 inches below the divider but Oden is very stubborn and if he wants something he will try his hardest to get it lol. I ordered a glass top for it just waiting for it to get here .

bankruptjojo

Oden sounds like a very fun betta companion. it took my bettas awhile to settle down after I moved them next to each other.

Shawnie

If you get the plastic dividers you don't need to have 2 mesh in there. The gap isn't something that should be there either. If they are jumping, lower your water level.

JessiNoel21

If you get the plastic dividers you don't need to have 2 mesh in there. The gap isn't something that should be there either. If they are jumping, lower your water level.

I prefer the mesh and my water lvl is two inches below it. Oden can jump if there is only one inch of water he is that stubborn. Hence he has craft mesh under his lid in his 5 gallon to keep him from jumping out. He is a very stubborn 1 yr old he will not stop until he gets what he wants.

Oden sounds like a very fun betta companion. it took my bettas awhile to settle down after I moved them next to each other.

I do not think he would ever stop so the new betta I am getting next week that was next to Goldikova at the rescue that he came from will be the tankmate of Goldikova.

remefrank

Not at the point to do this yet, but considering it. My kids (6 and 4) are sad we only have 1 fish. If I have a hob filter that can only fit on far right side of tank (due to cut out in lid) and the heater placed on the opposite side (same reason), will the tank get proper water flow and even heat distribution? My filter is beveled so the water stream goes lengthwise down the tank.

Curious if this set up is possible to divide.

utkgreg

Sure, people do it all the time. You might have to be a little more aggressive with your vacuuming on the side opposite the filter. Just make sure you use a divider that allows water flow.

poeticinjustices

Not at the point to do this yet, but considering it. My kids (6 and 4) are sad we only have 1 fish. If I have a hob filter that can only fit on far right side of tank (due to cut out in lid) and the heater placed on the opposite side (same reason), will the tank get proper water flow and even heat distribution? My filter is beveled so the water stream goes lengthwise down the tank.

Curious if this set up is possible to divide.

What kind of fish is in the 10 gallon / what are you putting on the other side of the divider? There's a rather limited number of fish that can live happily in 5 gallon spaces.

There are tons of mesh dividers out there for this purpose. If you are dividing fish that will fight, you may want to secure the divider with a little bit of silicone (the same stuff used to bind your tank walls).

And yes,definitely be more diligent in vacuuming the gravel on the side opposite the filter.

remefrank

We have a betta, and would get another one. Can you secure a divider with silicon if you already have water in the tank?

HOWsMom

We have a betta, and would get another one. Can you secure a divider with silicon if you already have water in the tank?

No - silicon has to be used on dry surfaces.

Jomolager

We have just discussed Bettas in a divided 10G s this morning.

Here some input from earlier today.

poeticinjustices

HOWsMom is correct, you would have to drain the tank. With a little grit and determination and planning, you can do this without losing all of your good bacteria and thereby your cycle in the process.

It would be well worth the effort, I think. If that divider were to ever fall or become dislodged, well, I shudder to think.

Jomolager

It takes at least 48 hours for silicon to cure before it is safe for fish. Will BB survive that long?

HOWsMom

It will if you run the filter on the edge of a bucket for a couple of days.

NinjaTetra

I am wanting to divide my 10 gallon. I already have one betta in there, but multiple tank syndrome is hard at work and I want another. The most cost effective solution seems to be dividing it and then if I want more bettas in the future getting 5ish gallon tanks... The most common thing used to divide tanks seems to be plastic mesh from Walmart. I read the stickied page and it mentioned something to do with folder dividers or something. Am I understanding it right in that I should put these on the sides of the mesh?
Lastly, would 3 bettas work in a ten? That gives about a 6 1/2" by 10" space for them.

~ <-----that's one of those cool squiggly lines you do before a signature.

Sarcasm Included

You use report binders that can be found in school supplies and crochet mesh found in sewing. Though to be honest, I would use a solid divider instead with Bettas, so that they can't see each other. You cut the mesh down to fit the tank and put the binders to the height of the tank. I find that using silicone to fix the binders in place works better than trying to use suction cups to fix the divider in place. I would not try to divide the tank in three, because the foot print would be too small.

BDpups

If you plan on keeping it divided long term, having a piece of glass attached with silicone would be the way to go. Paint it black with Krylon Fusion after you have attached it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SaltyPhone
Replies
Views
Sergeant Pepper
Replies
Views
The_fishy
Replies
Views