Dither Fish With Betta? Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by scotty b, Dec 8, 2012.

1. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

i fave a lone betta in a 18 gallon (had him for a week or so) and he is skiddish and spooks easy :confused:, he spends alot of hidden in floating plants would it help to add ditcher fish of some type?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't know that a betta needs a dither fish - not something I've heard. However, the tank is certainly large enough to try some tankmates - might get the fish out and about more.

However, you haven't had the fish long, and that is a bigger tank that it's probably used to....so you ought to wait and give the fish more time to adjust before making any decisions.

3. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

+1 Jaysee

4. OP
    OP
    scotty b

i think its odd hes hiding and skiddish, he dosent have stress stripes his colors are a we bit dull perhaps he just needs to settle in ? what type of ditcher fish may work put?

5. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

First of all, it's "dither" not "ditcher" :p Secondly, listen to what Jaysee said. You just put him in the tank, and that's really pretty big for a betta. Give him time to settle in. You can't put him through a stressful move and expect him to act like himself right away. I would wait at least two weeks before making any decisions. I've never heard of anyone NEEDING to put dither fish with a betta; obviously most people recommend keeping them by themselves anyway.

6. OP
    OP
    scotty b

;:barfhe was looking fine yesterday today i looked in and he has a wicked bad case of fungus i added some salts but he dosent look long for this earth

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry to hear he has fungus.
    Bettas and dither fish both occupy primarily the top 1/3 of the tank. Bettas don't do well with fish in their territory.
    If you get something a fish for the bottom might be tolerated. I wouldn't get anything until the fungus is gone.
    carol

8. OP
    OP
    scotty b

i dont expect he will last the night

9. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Columnaris can kill that quick, and can look like fungus if I'm not mistaken.

10. OP
    OP
    scotty b

if he dies should i nuke the tank he is in or leave it cycled and running? im correct in thinking snails cant get Columnaris,yes?

11. OP
    OP
    scotty b

as i suspected he did not make it :'(

12. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have other fish in the tank?

I would break the tank down, clean it, and re-cycle it before putting any new fish in it; I believe the antibiotics required to treat columnaris would kill your BB anyway.

This is not your year, huh? :'(

13. OP
    OP
    scotty b

i have snails and plants in the tank but no fish, would the sickness die off with no fish to infect? or will it live on in he water

14. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not sure. I do know it's highly contagious, though.

15. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I'd sterilize everything.

16. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry for your loss :(
    Carol

17. OP
    OP
    scotty b

It was very sad, if i let the tank sit for a few weeks will the water be safe? i dont want to move my inverts around

18. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Bettas can only be housed with specific types of fishes. IMO, and I have one in the same setup, Neon Tetras and Oto Catfish are an excellent match.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice