Dither fish for Blood Parrots and Angels

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelfish5765

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I need a small school of dither fish to diffuse aggression and reduce the shyness of my other fish. I have a 90g with 3 blood parrots, 4 angels (they've paired off), 1 black ghost knife, 1 pictus cat, and 2 corys. Silver dollars are too big for what I want, zebra danios would get eaten by my pictus, and I think most tetras and barbs would be too aggressive for the delicate angels. Although I was considering the columbian tetras. Any other ideas? Also, how many should I add? I don't want to increase the bioload too much, but I'd like a nice size school. Also remember the individual fish can't be small enough to be eaten by a catfish or ghost knife. ???

OP
angelfish5765

angelfish5765

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Glad you said that because I just bought some giant danios. I tried columbian tetras first and didn't like them, so I took them back. They didn't really move, just sat completely still. My angels and blood parrots are slow moving, so I need a little more of a contrast than that. Plus, their red fins detracted from the other fish in their that are the focal points of my tank. The giant danios are very active, yet don't bother the other fish. They school very tightly, but with lots of movement. Plus they're plain looking enough to sort of take a back seat to my main fishies. I'm very happy with them!

OP
angelfish5765

angelfish5765

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks Danni! I do really like my tank. It's evolved nicely and now it's exactly how I want it. The only thing that would make it better is if my ghost knife would grow. He's the same size as when I got him 6 months ago. I don't know if they normally grow that slowly or not, but I worry he's not getting enough food because all the other pigs --- errr fish --- steal food from him. I've started feeding him after the lights go off.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Awesome! The Danios too eat anything that fit into their mouth. lol Oh and they are jumpers so don't walk away leaving the lid open for a minute or have any wide open gaps or one might torpedo right out! Speaking from experience.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Just to let you know, it may take a long time for your Bloody Parrots to overcome their shyness. It's just the way they are! Give them time if they are still being shy.

My juvenile Bloody Parrots in my 33g long are still shy when I walk into the room and I've had them for about 10 months now. They aren't shy at feeding time though. It even took two weeks once I got them for them to come out and eat with me in front of the tank.

Remember that the Bloody Parrots can reach 10" x 7" and may very well eat small dither fish once they grow. (my largest is 10" x 7" right now). Photos in my profile.

Good luck and have fun with your fish!

Ken

OP
angelfish5765

angelfish5765

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, I've already witnessed their jumping ability. I have a gap in the lid on the back of my tank which I recently covere with egg crate. Last night I fired up a new LED moon light and they were bouncing around and knocking into the egg crate trying to check out the new light. As for the blood parrots -- that's HUGE!!! I might have to augment my filtration or add some Nitrazorb at some point, otherwise I might have to go back to massive weekly water changes which I'd rather avoid. Before the addition of 10 giant danios I was able to keep my nitrates below 40ppm with 50% water change every 2 weeks. As for their shyness, if I sit real still in front of the tank, they'll come out and check me out and the 2 big ones come out at feeding time. The baby is a little more shy. I might have to put the tank background back on to make them feel a little more secure. It's been off since it got water in front of it, but I've left it off so I can view the tank from all 4 sides. (We have the tank in our unfinished bedroom addition and it's backed up to a wall that's currently just studs.)

Btw, I used to have all those fish in a 55g. That's when I had to do the massive weekly water changes. I do eally like how my aquarium is stocked now. Plenty of fish, yet still plenty of room for them to swim around without running into each other. It does help that they all occupy different areas in the tank (top, middle, bottom, etc.) It's a good mix. Thanks for the advice on the dither fish. I'm very happy with them!

Merged back to back posts.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 86 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 24 18.3%

Top Bottom