Ditching canister for now, looking for upgraded HOB for 46 gallon discus tank.

tiffani
After my disastrous cascade canister experience recently, I’ve decided to just sell off my cascade canisters (once they send new one) and just use an upgraded HOB for 46 gallon bow front aquarium I currently have.
The canister did clean better, but with taking it apart & cleaning hoses headaches, the media trays held more, and the canister just breaking in two on me, the HOB actually was working just fine. Hob’s required a lot more floss media changes than canister filter.
I’ve been looking at seachem tidal filter, cascades HOB 300 and fluvals HOB models. I think all three of these are premium choices & should keep a 46 relatively clean.
Currently I have whisper 20 on 10 gallon & whisper EX 45 on 46 gallon. What HOB are you using & why do you like it?

Morpheus1967
Go with the Tidal. Has the built in skimmer, and plenty of adjustability.

MoshJosh
I do recommend the tidal (though make sure you open the valve that allows the bottom intake to function. . . This gave me some trouble). Also like my AquaClear.

Cichlidude
Agree with the above for Tidal filters. The Tidal 110 would be perfect.

I might suggest the new gold standard in filters, the Seachem Tidal Filters for just some of the following advantages: Self priming w/submerged pump so it’s quiet and will always start after a power failure or maintenance, removable no spill media basket for easy cleaning and locks in place and won’t push up flooding your floor, variable flow control from 20-100% in 10% increments, built in skimmer, self cleaning impeller and comes with the best bio media, Seachem Matrix for nitrate reduction.

On sale at Kens Fish with free shipping. Only $63.

tiffani
Agree with the above for Tidal filters. The Tidal 110 would be perfect.

I might suggest the new gold standard in filters, the Seachem Tidal Filters for just some of the following advantages: Self priming w/submerged pump so it’s quiet and will always start after a power failure or maintenance, removable no spill media basket for easy cleaning and locks in place and won’t push up flooding your floor, variable flow control from 20-100% in 10% increments, built in skimmer, self cleaning impeller and comes with the best bio media, Seachem Matrix for nitrate reduction.

On sale at Kens Fish with free shipping. Only $63.

Hey
Thank you, The tidal is really nice, I’m looking at seachems website. It doesn’t take cartridges like the others, I just use loose filter floss? And I like the removable basket in the back, now I have to take the entire filter to sink to clean. I’m look at YouTube review of it.

Seachem - Tidal Power Filters

Cichlidude
Hey
Thank you, The tidal is really nice, I’m looking at seachems website. It doesn’t take cartridges like the others, I just use loose filter floss? And I like the removable basket in the back, now I have to take the entire filter to sink to clean. I’m look at YouTube review of it.Seachem - Tidal Power Filters
Well I have two of them. A Tidal 75 and 55. Inside it comes with blue medium foam. I add 2 layers of Pinky Floss and then as much Seachem Matrix in mesh bags as it can hold.

JayH
If you intend to use any non-standard media in your filter, it will be easier to do in a way that doesn't compromise the water flow through the filter if you go with one that has a bottom-to-top water flow. The ones that use cartridges will generally have a back-to-front flow and this presents issues when want to cram the filter box full of media. On these you need to keep the back space open so water can freely flow across the back and then move toward the front. You also need to keep free flow in the front. You can use media there, but it needs to be something loose that won't impede the flow at all.

With the bottom-to-top flow, all you have to do is not put media on the very bottom of the media chamber, and all the ones I'm aware of have baskets or slings that keep that bottom area open. The Tidal series is one such. The AquaClear filters also have a bottom-to-top flow. Just be sure to put your media in the sling, even if it is a bit of a tight fit. The Tidal is likely to be a bit easier to deal with due to using a full basket rather than a sling that the media might want to fall out of. Both are good though.

Islandvic
The Ken's Fish site has the Tidal 110 on sale for $63, no tax

The Chewy site has the AC110 on sale for $67. plus tax

If you live near a PetSmart, the cashier will price match the online Chewy price since they own Chewy.

**edit*** I didnt realize cichlidude had already posted the Tidal 110 sale at Ken's.

coralbandit
I am all Aquaclear ..
The tidal looks nice .

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tiffani
Replies
Views
rmurray
Replies
Views