Ditch Fish's fin fell off Help 

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I put my male Ditch Fish in to the Breeders Net because he was so intent on getting girls then he was eating and after he was in there for a few minutes, I noticed some thing floating in the corner and that he only had one Gonopodium. it doesn't seem to bother him, but it makes him look funny and bother me >.< should I do anything to help it grow back, or will it never grow back? and will it effect his breeding?

p.s. I put him back into the main tank because he was chasing around my young female guppies and I didnt want them to crossbreed. I guess if he's gunna starve, let him. I put food in, so I guess I'll just let him do what ever he wants >.<

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I haven't run across this issue of a fin just falling off. Are all of your water parameters where they should be with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates?

If the fish is acting normally then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Keep an eye open for secondary infections just in case. I can't see if it will inhibit his breeding capabilities or not. I wouldn't think so.

Feed your fish as you normally do. Don't over feed your tank simply because you don't see the one fish in question eating.

Keep your water as pristine as possible. Will it grow back? I don't know. If the fin is completely gone, I doubt that it will.

Best wishes,
Ken

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
as far as I know, the livebearers have only one gonopodium, could you post a pic or be more descriptive? thanks!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think I can get a pic, but I'll try. and Guppies have 2 of them, and he had 2 (I think...). but when I look at him from the front, he looks lop-sided (not tippy, but just un-even)

the nitrites are above 0 but under 0.5 and the nitrates are about 20 (fear me with my 79 cent test strips!! >=-D). dunno about the ammonia tho.

I'm kinda thinking that he just go it stuck in the net....

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

Using a fish net to capture your fish can be risky. I've had fish to get tangled in the webbing of the net, and it wasn't pretty. I no longer use nets to capture my fish. I use a critter keeper or as they call it Convalescent Home Specimen Container:

Too, it would be a great help to you to purchase an API (liquid) Master Test Kit The strips can be inaccurate and difficult to read.
Ken

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aquarist48 said:
Hello,

Using a fish net to capture your fish can be risky. I've had fish to get tangled in the webbing of the net, and it wasn't pretty. I no longer use nets to capture my fish. I use a critter keeper or as they call it Convalescent Home Specimen Container:

Too, it would be a great help to you to purchase an API (liquid) Master Test Kit The strips can be inaccurate and difficult to read.
Ken
I usually use what's considered the out side of the net to catch them, but he was being a pain and the net flipped to how it was suppoesed to be (he was chasing his girls... he's a fishy womanizer -_-) so I think the seam caught him or something. I don't catch my fish unless I have to tho, and when I do, I make it quick. I did learn no to use a net on a cat fish tho.... he had net stuck to his pectoral fins for a good month before they fell off (my dad didnt know that he had spines when we 1st go him and we had to cut him out >.<). we use a plastic disposable cup now lol

I don't have the money to get one of those, tho I have been eyeing them up every time I go to PetSmart XD I'm getting a job soon tho, if any one will hire here, and I plan on saving up for lots of things, a real test kit included.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You're on the right track! I had the same issues with a Cory Cat getting stuck, many years ago. It was sad

Let's see what other responses you receive.

Keep us posted

Ken

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If he is truly injured, then as was mentioned you'll have to keep a close eye out for infection or further injury.

If you don't want this fish to breed with your guppies, can you just keep him in a separate tank? If this is going to continue to be an issue with him, it's going to cause a lot of undue stress to all of the fish in the tank if you have to keep catching him, no matter what you use to do it.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LyndaB said:
If he is truly injured, then as was mentioned you'll have to keep a close eye out for infection or further injury.

If you don't want this fish to breed with your guppies, can you just keep him in a separate tank? If this is going to continue to be an issue with him, it's going to cause a lot of undue stress to all of the fish in the tank if you have to keep catching him, no matter what you use to do it.
well the 10 gallon I have for the guppies isnt made to have a breeders net in it (its the Tetra starter kit that u get at walmart) so the breeders net is in the 20 gallon where the ditch fish (and gourami, rainbow shark and doradid catfish) are so I figured I would put him in there to fatten him up but he started chasing the oldest female guppy (she's about 3 months old) and I didnt want to have mutt fish, so I put took him out. he also looked really deppressed to be stuck in a small place anyway.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads