Disturbing the substrate - ammonia

johnt11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I did the first vacuum of my tank yesterday (2 months old) which resulted in a 25% PWC.

Just tested my water and the ammonia levels are at 0.25. My ammonia level is usually flat 0. Nitrites is 0 and nitrates are within the acceptable range.

Could this ammonia spike be due to the substrate being disturbed?

Is it something to worry about?

johnt11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have never checked but I have also never had much of an ammonia reading since about two weeks in despite doing regular water changes.

Will test the tap water.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you haven't vacuumed your substrate in 2 months, the ammonia may have been from that. I would stick with regular vacs during your water changes and also rinse your filter media in old tank water or in dechlorinated tap water to dislodge any excess gunk. After doing this, test to see if the ammonia goes away.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What do your nitrates get to weekly before a scheduled water change? I can't imagine that you should be doing less than 50% weekly w/ gravel vacs considering the bioload you have (if your profile is accurate).

johnt11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They never get that high. 10ppm is high for me.

The pleco I have is timy

Last edited by a moderator:

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I wouldn't do less than 30% weekly.

Your rainbow shark isn't suitable for your tank size and neither is your pleco especially if it's a common pleco.

johnt11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's a marbled pleco (according to others on here) and surely it's ok until it gets bigger?

I agree the shark is an issue but that was down to lack of experience and research. Learning from my mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would start looking to rehome them now since bigger fish are harder to rehome later.

johnt11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think I am going to try but not sure how easy it will be. Might go back to the place I got them.

Wish I had come on here before I bought them. Wanted something to assist with the algae.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think I am going to try but not sure how easy it will be. Might go back to the place I got them.

Wish I had come on here before I bought them. Wanted something to assist with the algae.
Most LFS take them with or without a credit/refund. If not, you could look up your local aquarium club.

We've all been there as far as getting fish and then realizing afterwards that they don't work with our setup. You could always get some amano shrimp and/or nerite snails as they produce very little bioload. They're excellent at eating brown algae if that's what you have.

johnt11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The shark is going back to the shop tomorrow. The pleco is staying. For now. Shop owner says I can take him back whenever. Currently inch and a half/two inches.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom