Disturbing Fish Day Or Night?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nick72, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Nick72

Nick72Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +295
    Experience:
    Just started
    A newbie question:

I've just stocked my 50 gallon tank with 2x Honey Guarmis.

Up to now (the last three weeks) I've just been cycling the tank and caring for the plants.

Now that I have fish, should I disturb the water with tests, cleaning and water changes when the lights are on (12 hrs) or when the lights are off (12hrs), or does it make no difference?

Best regards,

Nick

2. Gourami36

Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +831
    Experience:
    5 years
    I think it doesn't really matter. I usually do all the maintenance when the light is on

3. Betta'sAnonymous

Betta'sAnonymousWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,162
    Experience:
    4 years
    I tend to do my water changes during the fish's normal waking hours as well, since it is quite intrusive and they all tend to chase the vac around. Also, it is easier to keep track of the ever present and evet curious kitten.

4. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +864
    It would hardly make a difference, but I guess it would be easier to do a water change when the lights are on, so you can see.

12 hrs light on is also quite a long time. Might get algae issues. Just something to consider.

5. OP
    OP
    Nick72

Nick72Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +295
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thanks @Gourami36 , @Betta'sAnonymous

I was thinking it might be more disturbing for the fish during lights out, but often that would be the most convenient time for me.

Thanks @imba , well noted on the possible algae issues. I'd like to keep the lights on until around 10pm so I can enjoy the fish, but if algae becomes too much of an issue I'll start turning the lights off earlier.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2019
  6. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,966
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I think it’s better to wake the fish prior to doing the waterchanges so they don’t freak out. So you could still do it at whatever time you need to and just gently awake them a few minutes prior.

First turn on the room like for a few minutes, then turn on the tank light for a few minutes. After that start your waterchanges or whatever you need to do.

7. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,472
    Experience:
    2 years
    it would probably scare them more during the dark when they are resting and cant really see what's going on.

but for catching/netting fish, i do it at night with a red flashlight, so much easier than during the day.