Disturbing Fish Day Or Night?

Nick72

Well Known
Member
Messages
832
Reaction score
388
Location
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Experience
1 year
A newbie question:

I've just stocked my 50 gallon tank with 2x Honey Guarmis.

Up to now (the last three weeks) I've just been cycling the tank and caring for the plants.

Now that I have fish, should I disturb the water with tests, cleaning and water changes when the lights are on (12 hrs) or when the lights are off (12hrs), or does it make no difference?

Best regards,

Nick
 

Gourami36

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,962
Reaction score
840
Location
The internet
Experience
5 years
I think it doesn't really matter. I usually do all the maintenance when the light is on
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,471
Reaction score
1,450
Location
Nebraska
Experience
4 years
I tend to do my water changes during the fish's normal waking hours as well, since it is quite intrusive and they all tend to chase the vac around. Also, it is easier to keep track of the ever present and evet curious kitten.
 

imba

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,305
Reaction score
976
Location
New South Wales
It would hardly make a difference, but I guess it would be easier to do a water change when the lights are on, so you can see.

12 hrs light on is also quite a long time. Might get algae issues. Just something to consider.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Nick72

Nick72

Well Known
Member
Messages
832
Reaction score
388
Location
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Experience
1 year
Gourami36 said:
I think it doesn't really matter. I usually do all the maintenance when the light is on
Betta'sAnonymous said:
I tend to do my water changes during the fish's normal waking hours as well, since it is quite intrusive and they all tend to chase the vac around. Also, it is easier to keep track of the ever present and evet curious kitten.
Thanks Gourami36 , Betta'sAnonymous

I was thinking it might be more disturbing for the fish during lights out, but often that would be the most convenient time for me.

imba said:
It would hardly make a difference, but I guess it would be easier to do a water change when the lights are on, so you can see.

12 hrs light on is also quite a long time. Might get algae issues. Just something to consider.
Thanks imba , well noted on the possible algae issues. I'd like to keep the lights on until around 10pm so I can enjoy the fish, but if algae becomes too much of an issue I'll start turning the lights off earlier.
 

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,571
Reaction score
5,064
Location
Fishlore
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it’s better to wake the fish prior to doing the waterchanges so they don’t freak out. So you could still do it at whatever time you need to and just gently awake them a few minutes prior.

First turn on the room like for a few minutes, then turn on the tank light for a few minutes. After that start your waterchanges or whatever you need to do.
 

Skavatar

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,971
Reaction score
2,670
Location
Houston, TX
Experience
2 years
it would probably scare them more during the dark when they are resting and can't really see what's going on.

but for catching/netting fish, I do it at night with a red flashlight, so much easier than during the day.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
94
Guests online
2,364
Total visitors
2,458

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom