Disturbed Molting Crab

Status
Not open for further replies.

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I posted a while ago about my smallest hermit crab looking like he was ready to molt. I was wrong. The larger one was ready to molt. I have 6 inches of coconut fiber for them to be able to bury themselves in. Well he decided to molt inside of a small mason jar I put in the tank as a little cave. I didn't know he was molting and I was going through to clean up the substrate, so I removed the jar with him inside it. His body was hanging out of the shell so I got worried that he had passed away and I picked up him. He doesn't smell what so ever but his body is limp and half way out of the shell. I quickly realized he was probably in the middle of molting so I put him back in the same exact spot.

My question is, did I screw up big time? He hasn't moved at all since I've disturbed him. How long does it take for them to complete a molt? My smaller hermit crab has thankfully been leaving him alone and stays at the opposite end of the tank.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh, yay! Another new hermit crab thread!
I should be able to help, I have little buggers of my own.

Good work with the substrate, you've got the minimum amount, and it seems ideal so far.
He's not dead, and that's not really his body hanging out. It's his old exoskeleton that sheds off each molt.

Give him some time alone, and don't touch him. He'll want to eat the exoskeleton for calcium before he's finished molting.
How big is he? Depending on his size, he could take shorter/longer amounts of time to finish.

Pictures, pictures, I demand them!

OP
BReefer97

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh, yay! Another new hermit crab thread!
I should be able to help, I have little buggers of my own.

Good work with the substrate, you've got the minimum amount, and it seems ideal so far.
He's not dead, and that's not really his body hanging out. It's his old exoskeleton that sheds off each molt.

Give him some time alone, and don't touch him. He'll want to eat the exoskeleton for calcium before he's finished molting.
How big is he? Depending on his size, he could take shorter/longer amounts of time to finish.

Pictures, pictures, I demand them!
They were both sold to me as babies, so they're pretty small. The one that I'm holding in the picture is the one that's molting. They have two water dishes (salt and fresh) and I keep little sea shells around the tank with standard hermit crab food and I add veggies and what not at night because that's when they're the most active for me. They have plants all over the place to climb, they have room to dig, and they have loads of different sized shells. I swear, the one that's molting would change into a new shell every day. I could never tell where he was because he was always different haha

Attachments

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They were both sold to me as babies, so they're pretty small. The one that I'm holding in the picture is the one that's molting. They have two water dishes (salt and fresh) and I keep little sea shells around the tank with standard hermit crab food and I add veggies and what not at night because that's when they're the most active for me. They have plants all over the place to climb, they have room to dig, and they have loads of different sized shells. I swear, the one that's molting would change into a new shell every day. I could never tell where he was because he was always different haha
What brand of food? You really shouldn't feed them that very often. It's actually good to feed them what we might eat, so whenever you eat a good fish, or organic salad, give them some without any seasonings.
Is the coconut fiber moist? It should be able to take form of what you want it to, so they can easily dig in it.

Where you are holding the molter, is he trying to move as that was taken, or is that how he looks?

OP
BReefer97

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What brand of food? You really shouldn't feed them that very often. It's actually good to feed them what we might eat, so whenever you eat a good fish, or organic salad, give them some without any seasonings.
Is the coconut fiber moist? It should be able to take form of what you want it to, so they can easily dig in it.

Where you are holding the molter, is he trying to move as that was taken, or is that how he looks?
Oh no! That picture was taken before he started molting! I can't get pictures of him molting because he's in a glass mason jar. And yes, the coconut fiber is moist (not dripping, but just enough to hold shape). Also, it's a ZooMed hermit crab food. I change it every day. I leave it in there just to make sure they have food every day because I don't see them out very much. They're scaredy crabs. And I do feed them a variety of foods because my sugar glider eats nearly the same diet as the crabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom