Disturbed Cycle- How Long To Keep Poop In Tank For Good Bacteria?

Bubba's Mom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Betta is a heated 3.5 Top Fin filtered tank. with silk plants.
Due to ignorance kept overcleaning every week- rinsing with tap water etc- resulting in elevated Ammonia and Nitrite and disturbed cycle-- it has been 5 months since I got my Betta.

Doing 20% weekly Top Fin conditioner water changes. Adding Seachem Seed.

Has 2 Carbon cartridge included in tank when purchased.
I have added mesh bag with Seachem Matrix and a small piece of Ammonia reducer pad that has reduced the ammonia.

My local aquatics pro and this forum members have suggested I keep poop in tank to allow for good bacteria to feed. Is that correct? cant think it is good for him to be swimming in his poop but one has been there for 18 hours ( i usually vaccuum out right away) How long do I keep it in there? THANK YOU

Zigi Zig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Betta is a heated 3.5 Top Fin filtered tank. with silk plants.
Due to ignorance kept overcleaning every week- rinsing with tap water etc- resulting in elevated Ammonia and Nitrite and disturbed cycle-- it has been 5 months since I got my Betta.

Doing 20% weekly Top Fin conditioner water changes. Adding Seachem Seed.

Has 2 Carbon cartridge included in tank when purchased.
I have added mesh bag with Seachem Matrix and a small piece of Ammonia reducer pad that has reduced the ammonia.

My local aquatics pro and this forum members have suggested I keep poop in tank to allow for good bacteria to feed. Is that correct? cant think it is good for him to be swimming in his poop but one has been there for 18 hours ( i usually vaccuum out right away) How long do I keep it in there? THANK YOU
I vacuum mine every 3 to 4 weeks is depend on how your tank is stable how many fish.. longest your ammonia stays at 0

Bubba's Mom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for reply-- its a 3.5 heated filtered. One male Betta-- how big is your tank?

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you vacuum it weekly what are your water parameters? I don’t see why the poop is necessary for your cycle... that is new to me. Does it secrete additional ammonia? I do a thorough vacuum of my tank weekly & have never worried about it being “too clean”. If you stop washing your filter media in tap water then tour tank will return to cycling.

Bubba's Mom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Since I have interrupted my cycle numerous times- the Aquatics Pro at the store ( in fact it is the wponer) advised to leave tank alone. That poop actually feeds the needed bacteria. Said not to tocuh it for a month- Im on week two. Bubba continues thriving and Amonia down to 0. Took out Amonia pad out on Saturday. Nitrite is slightly still elevated but Pro says it should be spiking right before as it converts to Nitrate. I have been at it for 5 mos now so hope the end is near. He poops little poops every o ther day- Im counting them! THX for reply. He build a bubble nest today so it cant be far off.

I was really doubtful but other Pro at another Aquatics store told me to leave poop in as well. Seems its like cow manuere used to fertilize plants. Fish waste is oused as food to grow the good bacteria. That kinda makes sense - just in case-m I am doing water readimgs every other day and watching carefully.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ammonia is the food for the ammonia converting bacteria, so you need ammonia for the bacteria colony to develop. But on the other hand ammonia is highly toxic to fish. Therefore it is recommended to keep your ammonia level under 1ppm when cycling and using Prime, since a standard dose of Prime will detox up to 1ppm of ammonia for 24 hours.

Detox is the key word when talking about what Prime does with ammonia. Dextox means puts the ammonia into a form that is not toxic to fish, but is in a form that can still feed the bacteria.

Which leads me to why I actually responded. Ammonia pads actually remove ammonia from the water. the problem with removing ammonia is that there is then no food source for the ammonia converting bacteria and you will not be able to grow your bacteria colony. So while it's good that you have now removed the pad, keep an eye out for elevated ammonia levels.

Bubba's Mom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you. I removed the Ammonia pad last Satirday and have been testing my water levels every other day since Bubba continues to be active and hungry! has also worked on his bubble nest every day.
The Ammonia has stayed at 0- though Nitrite is still there though pale pink which is the level up from zero.
Have not touched the water or taken out the poop (now 5 in tank! YUK) all week.
I plan on going to Aquatics store today so they can test my water and may go into tank with my vaccuum and take a couple of the older poops out---though she is advising me not to for another two weeks.
The owner lady sounds very wise- so since all else has failed going w her direction.
Ihave Matrix and 2 carbon pads in filter and been dropping Seachem Aquavitrop SEED to encourage the good bacteria. Two weeks tomorrow that I changed his water. He is in a 3.5 heated filtered tankand just think 5 poops is too much in there no?

All in all he is doing quite well. quite the personality! THANKS

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom