distroyed

Discussion in 'Oscars' started by joshua 74, Mar 17, 2010.

1. joshua 74

joshua 74 Valued Member Member

can anyone help me decorate my oscar tank everything I pout in there gets destroyed any ideas can u show me pics of your tanks plz my oscers are only small:;cr

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

They may be small now but they won't be for long. Oscars grow fast. What size tank are they in?

First off forget plants, even fakes will get thrown around unless you take measures to prevent this. I've got some plants in my Oscar tank but I've taken some pretty severe measures to do that. Your best off decorating with large pieces of wood & big rocks. Everything needs to be very solidly put together. Rocks & wood are best bedded down on the base glass of the tank to prevent the fish digging underneath them & causing them to fall over. These are big powerfull fish & everything needs to be big & solid so that there is no chance of the fish moving the stuff from where you put it (they will want to rearrange). A 30cm Oscar that is in a panic can move a surprisingly large rock or piece of wood if it bumps into it. There should be a pic of my Oscar tank in my gallery (click the camera) but I wouldn't recommend trying to emulate my set up unless you have lots of experience with big fish.

3. OP
    OP
    joshua 74

i have 2 albino tiger oscars with identical markings they are around14cm they are in a 80 litre tank for now. I am trying to get a 10 foot tank agonised but its no ez job what is the minimum tank size I will need

4. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

Decorating and Oscar tank is futile. They LOVE to destroy your decorations. Forget plants. I've had oscars with fake plants and they just swim around with them and uproot them. I would say the MINIMUM tank for two Oscars is 55 Gallons (208 liters) That 20 Gallon (80 liter) tank you have them in will be outgrown in a month. They grow about an inch a month until about 8 or 9 inches.

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry I have to disagree on the 55gal being suitable for two Oscars. No way. 55gal minimum for one & I'd prefer to recommend 75gal. For two is a minimum of 100gal with 120gal being my prefered recommendation. Plants are possible but you really need to know what your doing 7 it takes some clever design before the tank is filled. For that plants are possible you can look in my gallery or in this months aquarium photo comp. There you will see pics of my part planted 180gal Oscar tank. It contains some live plants & some fakes. Like I said, it's possible, but not at all easy.

6. OP
    OP
    joshua 74

hey nutter where do u by your fish from i live in rockingham i think the prices are stupid u do no any discus breeders around here. thanks 4 the oscar help all.

7. a

acea091489 Valued Member Member

Good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice