Distilled Water and Tap water combined

1. gtora Initiate Member

I have a new 10g setup with a ph of 7.3. I am reluctant to use the PH down drops to bring down the ph to neutral. Has anyone use a mixture of distilled water and tap water to soften and lower there ph? I thought I would try adding two gallons of distilled water in a 10 gallon set up at every other water change. Thanks for your help.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!

dont worry about the ph ...fish can acclimate to all kinds as long as its a ph that is stable and doesnt fluctuate constantly...dont use chemicals as bettas wont deal with that at all...the 7.3 ph is fine for him :) some natural ways to raise ph is using crushed coral in the tank ..and to lower it, driftwood with tannis in it or peat moss in your filter is much better....but again. you ph is fine for your baby ....would love to see pics sometimes!!

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with shawnie, you shouldn't mess with the pH in this situation

4. gtora Initiate Member

Thank you for the advice. I won't worry about the ph if it is within range. What seems most important is keeping it stable. Tried to upload photos and came up with an error all three times.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

you have to resize them then..they need to be 1000kb or under for size :)

6. gtora Initiate Member

New at this ... thanks. I resized them and they are up.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

8. gtora Initiate Member

Thanks Ken. Great article on ph. Am deciding on names for the girls. Wanted to watch there behavior for a few days before I decided. Some possible names are Miya, Olivia, and Sophie! Don't know what types they are ... however they are beautiful. :;perfect

9. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

7.3 is a good Ph range. Leave it there and your tank will remain stable and a whole lot less work than trying to adjust it.....or pain, if you were to forget to adjust it at water change time!!
    Ph should only be adjusted for "special needs" fish.