Distended Betta Belly

Courtneyburke0

I have a red veil tail male Betta in a 10 gallon with a heater and filtration. I normally feed every other day because he has had problems with digestion in the past. I fed him a lot today and changed his substrate to National Geographic substrate (it looks like large black sand grains). He was fine before I fed him and wasn’t doing this weird behavior of sticking his face in the sand all over the tank. He was swimming and acting fine even with the new substrate. Since I fed him, he looks like he’s hunting for food on the bottom actively and his belly is huge. It’s distended and looks like he is going to explode. I’m afraid he might not make it through this one. I don’t have any peas or a way to get them.

FishFor2018

I need pictures of him the tank and a close picture of his belly.
What do you feed him?
What temperature is the tank?
Any idea on age?
How long have you had him?
Is the tank cycled?
Any tank mates?
How long has the tank been running for?
Where did you get him?
Sorry about all the questions.

Courtneyburke0

I feel him Cobalt flakes, no idea on age and I got him at Petsmart about two months ago, he’s medium sized for a betta. The temp in the tank is 80 degrees, his heater isn’t even on. My room gets hot during the summer and all my tanks are at 80. The tank isn’t cycled and has been running for about 5 days. No tank makes, he rides solo, plus he’s aggressive. I did my best on the belly photo.

FishFor2018

Okay, never feed betta's flakes as it makes them bloated. Try feeding him this: Aqueon Betta Fish Food, .95-oz jar ( you can get it from petsmart to) do not feed him anything until he's not bloated. try giving him a pea here are instructions: take one pea and blanch it by dropping it into boiling water to soften it. After cooking for 30 seconds for fresh peas or 1 minute for frozen, remove and drop into ice cold water until cooled. Peal the skin away and feed a small portion of the inside to the betta.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mryan15
Replies
Views
sailor7x
Replies
Views
redmare
Replies
Views