Disposing Saltwater? Question

Discussion in 'More Saltwater Aquarium Topics' started by Laxin10, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Laxin10

Laxin10 Valued Member Member

What should I do with my old water for my water changes? I am on a septic system so putting it down the drain is NOT an option unfortunately.

With my freshwater tanks I have a 50 foot siphon that drains into the yard from the house, but putting saltwater in the yard is not a good thing so that option isn't available either. It is only a 40 gallon tank, so at most it would be 20 gallons, but with decor and whatnot, it would most likely be closer to 15 gallons. Any ideas?

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Put it into a storm drain outside?

3. Baba

Baba Well Known Member Member

Let the water evaporate, scrape the salt, re use the salt, safe money... just kidding. Sorry, I don't have a good answer to your question. Except maybe having designated spot in the yard, where you don't plan to have anything grow.

4. OP
    OP
    Laxin10

Isn't that mildly illegal lol?

5. OP
    OP
    Laxin10

That was my first thought, but I began wondering how it would impact the yard around it as well. After quite a few years, I could see it being a potential problem. I'm not sure though

6. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

Yea I think it depends were you live... But around here there are signs saying only rainwater in storm drains.. save the dolphins!!!:)

7. Jesterrace

Jesterrace Well Known Member Member

It's a bit more of a pain but I do a 10 gallon weekly water change on my 90 gallon and drain it into 5 gallon buckets (mostly for measurement purposes) and then dump it into the gutter. In your case it might make sense just to get an extra hose and then it can go into the gutter.

8. Baba

Baba Well Known Member Member

You could dig a hole and fill it with gravel for better drainage. This way it should be contained in a relatively small area without impacting the surroundings.

9. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Ive heard of people leaving out vats of excess saltwater and letting it evaporate and then removing the excess salt into the bin.

Do you have a town close by? There might be options to dispose of water there...

10. mmoore

mmoore Valued Member Member

I'm in the same situation, on a septic tank and don't want to drain it in to the yard and kill my grass. Not a huge problem right now as I only have a 60g cube, but I am in the process of putting together a 240g and I'm defiantly not going to be carrying that many buckets to the street......
    curious to see if anyone has any ideas??

11. Jesterrace

How far is it to your street from your tank?

12. mmoore

mmoore Valued Member Member

Its at least 50 yards

13. OP
    OP
    Laxin10

Mine is about 30. And even if I was willing to do that, I think I would get some weird looks (and possibly a confrontation) pouring buckets of liquid into the street.

14. Jesterrace

I was going to suggest using a long garden hose. I discovered that the Petsmart Top Fin medium size gravel vacuum/drain hose fits perfectly inside a standard garden hose. I have used this before when draining my 90 gallon and it works surprisingly well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice