Disney the longfin eel!

Discussion in 'Squirtle =)' started by Squirtle =), Apr 3, 2012.

1. Squirtle =)

Squirtle =)Valued MemberMember

Hey all

So I have been looking for a fire eel for ever but they are impossible to get, My LFS got a longfin in and I could not resist! I didn know much about them but seems they can live for 80+ years and grow up to 2M (twice to size of a fire eel) which makes them the largest eel I know of!!! not sure what I will do with him but planning on keeping him for as long as I can without being unfair on him.

Anyways I will take a video every 1-2 months so we can track his growth! I plan on keeping him with lots of aussie natives long as they wont fit in his mouth I have been told its safe! so far I dont know of anyone else keeping this eel in the hobby above 1m so the information it limited many seem to get them to a decent size but then they pass away, I am amusing due to the tank size or not going brackish , so far I have read that they migrate into salt for a few months then breed and the eggs travel back to fresh then so does the eel. (only been reading for 1 hour so not 100% on everything!)

Anyways here video no.1 I just added him to the QT tank with the perchs (2 jungles and 2 jades, jades are above due to being small enough for the eel to eat right now) Hopefully the eel does grow slow like suggested! His so cute!!! I want to hug this little guy lol!

[video=youtube_share;6ya5kZN55qI]http://youtu.be/6ya5kZN55qI[/video]

2. OP
    OP
    Squirtle =)

Just a little picture to show anyone what I am expecting ;)

This is a older longfin eel as u can see his head is 2x the size of a human hand ^_^

the eel god.jpg

3. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

That's a cool eel. How about a nice long piece of pipe hidden in rocks for him to hide in?

4. OP
    OP
    Squirtle =)

thats the plan when he gets out of QT and into the main tank, but he doesn't hide much in QT tank else I smash my head all up in his face his a bit of a weird one ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice