Disinfecting tank w/ vinager vs bleach

nmwierman1977

I think that I would like to disinfect the hosp.tank with vinegar rather than bleach because it's safer and it won't take as long, plus I won't have the paranoia of whether or not it's all out of everything whether I smell it or not. My question is is it safe for the heater or should I take it out?
Another question is how much vinegar should I put in? I was going to put a cup of it in and put the rest boiled water in and let it sit for an hour 2 with the filter running. Is that okay to do?
Thanks for suggestions. Natalie

nmwierman1977

Okay, well I just took it upon myself to put a cup of vinegar in the tank and I mixed a gallon of cold water and about 2 gallons of hot water and I have the filter running and I'm just going to let it sit for a few hours unless you think I should let it sit for 24 hours? Natalie

cherryrose

Vinegar is a very good disinfectant. I used it to clean my guinea pigs cages when I had them, and it removed dried on urine, as well as disinfecting the cages. I used it full strength for that purpose. I believe that the amount of water and vinegar you mixed should work fine, however my gut instinct tells me that I would want to soak the tank for 24 hours or at least overnight.

CherryRose

nmwierman1977

Thanks Cherryrose. I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to let it sit over night and then rinse it out a couple times in hot water. Natalie

Ps. I think if I get another male Betta and it looks like Royell I'm going to name him RJ(Royell Junior). I think Royell deserves at least that much for putting up such a good fight. Don't you think?

cherryrose

I love the idea! RJ would be a great name. RJ even sounds like a name for royality. Royell should be honored as he was such a fighter and deserves to have a namesake.

CherryRose

chickadee

I love the idea. The new betta I am getting will not look like Marty, unfortunately, but I am going to name him Marty Jr. for the same reason.

Royell does most definitely deserve a namesake. I think it is very sweet. We will remember Royell for a long time as the little guy who fought Dropsy and won.

Rose

Tom

cherryrose said:
I believe that the amount of water and vinegar you mixed should work fine, however my gut instinct tells me that I would want to soak the tank for 24 hours or at least overnight.
You could just rinse it out in a bath tube really well after cleaning it with vinegar.
Tom

Asinity

Put it this way; I wish I had of used vinegar over bleach to treat the 5 gallon. While I can't smell it anymore, it has taken almost a full week to actually get that way. Pain in the butt, I'm still worried I haven't got everything...

Eskielvr

When I used to use vinegar on my 5 gallon I'd use it straight, not diluted. I'd rinse and rinse and rinse some more, and when I thought I had rinsed enough, I rinsed it off again. Then I put the gravel and everything back inside, filled it, floated the fish and it was fine.

However, I didn't know anything about tank cycles then so I guess when I tore everything apart and cleaned it, I got rid of the good bacteria then, too. Odd, my fish never had any ill effects from it. Hmmm.

The only cleaning my tanks get now, is a gravel cleaning with the Python during the water change and that's it.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom