Disinfecting/cleaning QT filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Machine11, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Machine11Well Known MemberMember

I recently setup a QT for a sick fish who unfortunately lost his battle.
    I plan on cleaning the tank with bleach, but what do I use to clean the HOB filter with?
    I'd like to put the HOB onto to my main tank so it can just be easily transferred straight to the QT if I need it in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. aHumanBeing

aHumanBeingWell Known MemberMember

Lately i've been running hot water through the QT HOB when i'm done with it and mixing a double dose of Paraguard through it.

Previously I added bleach mixed approximately 9 parts water 1 part bleach. I ran that through the HOB and aquarium for approximately 15 minutes. Then dumped the water, rinsed the tank and filter and let the tank and canister sit for a week. I then rinsed the tank again before putting it into use. You will know the bleach has dissipated when you cannot smell even a hint of bleach.

Keep in mind that you should not be re-using the filter media but rather just washing the HOB with bleach. If you are trying to keep a cycle kept in the filter media then I would recommend using the Paraguard method if the fish died from parasites.

3. slade

sladeValued MemberMember

What media is in your HOB?
    Honestly, I'd use just a sponge filter, or a HOB with filter floss or bonded pads, and toss them after treatment. Then I'd give the filter housing a good cleaning with bleach and hot tap water.

4. fishguy1955New MemberMember

Discard the media, then do a bleach/water soak. I would then let it dry thoroughly in the sun. Drying alone will destroy ich and any other protozoan parasites as well as any water borne pathogens that cannot encapsulate or produce spores to resist drying.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice