Disinfect Live Rock

sgh360

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi i just got some free live rock with aiptasia. obviously i want to completly destroy the anemone before i put it on my DT will bleach wipe it out? Or are there any simple methods? I dont care if it become regular base rock after the treatment

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Sgh,

Hopefully you'll get some responses today from some of our Salt tank keepers.

Ken

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you bleach the rock all living bacteria will die, There are products for ridding these anemones or srape them of with a razor blade.

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ive read upon this a bit...

but wouldnt hypo salinity do the trick too?
and wouldnt it be extremly easy and worth while if the rock was not in your aquarium and say a pond tub of some sort as not to maybe kill your tankmates and stress about your DT

ive read that hyposalinty is easy to do and kills many things, but difficult when done in the main aquarium
and even though it kills many things, things like algae and and other beneficail things will not be killed and make it though the "OST"...

any one know more about these processes?
read that it kills ich, aiptasia and many more nuisances

ive also read of electrocution, and even better and cheaper takeing a syringe with lemon juice and injecting it with the juice, instant kill, but in my reading whats easier,better,and cheaper than low salinity for a week???

i know this thread is a lil old but this in my eyes is a good one needs more discussion, i dont have the lighting to support anemones but everyone esle prolly does...

my advise is google it as i did,

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom