Disinfect A Tank Without Poisoning My Fish? How Do I

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Cold&warm, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Cold&warm

Cold&warmValued MemberMember

Hallo everyone!

Last fall I got 4 Fundulopanchax sjoestedti - the avatar picture shows one of the 2 males. One of the females had a swollen eye. In the half year behind us almost all of them have shown recurring signs of exophtalmia/popeye. Each time they seemed to overcome the condition with ease.

Last Christmas friends gave me their old 13 USgal tank. It houses a Blue Gularis male with one dim eye - I am confident that also this time it will pass, with or without the help of medicine.

I intend to order a pair of small Tanganyikan cichlids for the 13 gal and to move the eye patient to another aquarium.

How do I disinfect the tank
    ?

- I generally merely rinse my smaller tanks under the faucet, rubbing off the algae with kitchen paper.
    IMG_4255.JPG
    - Is it safe to use a liquid product meant for washing dishes?
    - To rinse I have only cold water.
    + I am afraid to leave poisonous residues in the tank. I think this is even more likely because this 13gal is too large to lift and rinse under the faucet, which for the smaller tanks is always a bit risky anyway. Last time I banged a tank - fortunately only with minor damage.

Thanks in advance for any practical advice!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  2. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

I've read salt or vinegar. Never dish soap. I've personally used 1-19 diluted bleach to sanitize and then let dry, then rinsed with prime treated water really well. Bleach will be safe on its own once dry anyway. If you just need to clean old residue, vinegar may be the best selection.

3. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

+1 on vinegar. Excellent natural disinfectant.

4. OP
    OP
    Cold&warm

Cold&warmValued MemberMember

Thanks to both of you for the precious information!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice