Dishwasher

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by racerchaser, Dec 5, 2012.

1. r

racerchaser New Member Member

Is it ok to put decorations in the Dishwasher?:;santaclaus

2. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't for a few reasons
    The water may get too hot and start making the paint peel off or discolor
    plus soap and rinse aid will get on the decor ( not good for the tank water )
    I would stick to plain water in the sink and if you use soap, just make sure to rinse really well or soak to get the residue off.

3. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

Hi! :)

Probably not a good idea. There's really no need. +1 on what jwebbe said, although I would skip the soap altogether and use a tiny bit of ammonia in the water (bleach, without additives).

If your decorations are stained the same solution would work and you can brush/scrub them clean with a toothbrush or other sort of brush that has not been used to clean anything else.

Hope this helps! Good luck. :)

4. aylad

aylad Well Known Member Member

+1 to ammonia or bleach... but never both. ;:barf

5. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Bleach isn't ammonia, it is a compound that turns to hypochlorite upon contact with water :) Unless there are different varieties of bleach I'm not aware of, of course. I agree with the above :)

6. oscardude

oscardude Valued Member Member

Bleach and ammonia combined is bad. It creates a gas that can kill you.

7. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I use Tupperware containers for general tank stuff, that have gone through the dishwasher many, many times. That said, I wouldn't really see the need to use the dishwasher for decorations.

8. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Yes, it creates Mustard Gas.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice