Help Disgusting worm laying eggs in sand. Please help!

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello Fishlore,
I have a macro lens so I tend to see most things others don't see. BUT today I was just walking past the tank and I see this with my bare eyes. It is coiled up in the sand/fluval stratum mix I have with about 25 or so eggs. I haven't introduced anything into the tank recently except for some mystery snails about two weeks ago. This worm is laying eggs outside of an animal which comforts me. It is also a good 3 inches deep in the gravel. It seems like it is about an inch long (2.54 cm) but it is coiled up so hard to tell. I'll post a pic below.

P3270796.JPG
P3270796.JPG
P3270795.JPG
P3270794.JPG

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What a wonderful looking creature, I've never come across this but MissNoodle may or Feohw may my guess it's a type of leech but don't really know

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I tried this but It didn’t really help all that much but it helped a little still don’t know what it is

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been doing some research as well but found nothing like what you've got
I'm sure the others will come up with something , when its identified I like your permission to copy the photo into MissNoodle thread
Pictorial Guide To Hitchhiker's

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
richie.p said:
I've been doing some research as well but found nothing like what you've got
I'm sure the others will come up with something , when its identified I like your permission to copy the photo into MissNoodle thread
Pictorial Guide To Hitchhiker's
How do I give permission? Or is that not what you are asking?

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Following I hope someone can ID it that’s gross (and cool lol)

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finatic005 said:
Go ahead or should I just post it asking for ID?
Once we've identified it you can post it to the thread I mentioned with a little write up as to your findings the thread is a reference for all

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
LivebearerMom said:
Following I hope someone can ID it that’s gross (and cool lol)
Agreed haha
richie.p said:
Once we've identified it you can post it to the thread I mentioned with a little write up as to your findings the thread is a reference for all
Ok sounds good. If this provides info, one of my ghost shrimp Turned white and can’t move. It’s still alive though. I’ll post a pic.

CFE0479C-7270-4626-9D10-ED6C14EAB013.jpeg

sorry the substrate is a bit dirty. I gravel vacced yesterday

EDIT: It is now completely opaque and can’t get off its side. It’s going to die I think...

I've done a lot of research and believe I have found it's family.... but not sure at all. called oligochaete worms.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Finatic005 said:
I've done a lot of research and believe I have found it's family.... but not sure at all. called oligochaete worms.
That seems like a pretty good guess. Almost like an aquatic earthworm. Awesome pictures though! You’re gonna have to see what happens with the eggs

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
About your shrimp - it might be having trouble molting. I don't think it's related to the creature you've discovered.

That string of eggs is fascinating, honestly.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TWiG87 said:
That seems like a pretty good guess. Almost like an aquatic earthworm. Awesome pictures though!
Yep, I am praying it is an aquatic earthworm, if so, I am fine with it as it will aerate the soil for plants. I am just hoping it isn't parasitic to humans. Ya, the camera that I have for macro is really good. Thanks!

SM1199 said:
About your shrimp - it might be having trouble molting. I don't think it's related to the creature you've discovered.

That string of eggs is fascinating, honestly.
Oh, ok. I'd never think I'd say this, but that is comforting news. It sadly died yesterday and was promptly devoured by its cousins, amano shrimp. Yes, it is fascinating but a little gross imo. But yes, fascinating.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm sorry to disappoint - I don't think it's an oligochaete. Oligochaete are segmented worms and I see no evidence of segmentation in that worm you see.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SM1199 said:
I'm sorry to disappoint - I don't think it's an oligochaete. Oligochaete are segmented worms and I see no evidence of segmentation in that worm you see.
I did see that they are segmented worms, but it must be a very close cousin because I have found some pictures marked as oligochaete worms that look like they don't have any segments. I'll attach the link if I can find it. But you do have a good point... It is also good to note that it is reproducing outside of an animal meaning that it is most likely not an internal parasite IF it is a parasite at all.

TWiG87 said:
That seems like a pretty good guess. Almost like an aquatic earthworm. Awesome pictures though! You’re gonna have to see what happens with the eggs
I was just re-reading everything and noticed that you said see what happens to the eggs. So, should I not take them out? I've been pondering this...

Could it be clitellio arenarius? Seems similar but not 100% the same, but could just be a different sub-species...

New Threads