Disgusted With 10 Gallon Tank Doing Redo

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by WinterSoldier., Apr 19, 2019.

1. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

So I have had it with the walstad method. Or at least in my 10 gallon. The soil is anerobic so that means only water lillies will grow. I am going to strip it down and start again. This time I am doing root tabs so I can grow more root feeders. I also plant to add kitty litter (unscented) to produce Iron. I am going to do floating guppy grass, ludwigia, water wisteria, a water lily. an anubias, hornwort and frog bit or water lettuce. The tank is in such a state I am embarrassed to post a picture. So what do you think??

Suggestions, comments, ideas??

2. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Curious as to why only water lilies will grow in anaerobic conditions.

My attempt at a Walstad ended in failure. When I broke it down the soil smelled of manure... best of luck on the rescape, would love to see pics even if you're not happy with how it currently looks.

3. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Picture? Knowing you and plants, it can’t look that bad!:)

4. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

Ahhh....[​IMG]

This is what it looked like a month ago. Nothing has grown except the lily.

5. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Sorry it did not work for you. Best wishes for your next build.

6. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I mean, can’t you just take the bettas out, and put more plants, driftwood in the tank? Do you have to do a 100% water change? And redo everything? I think that tank looks good!!:)

7. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

I have decided to do fertilizer. Root tabs mainly

8. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I have never really gotten into that stuff, but I guess if you need it, you need it!!:)

9. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I think your tank looks awesome as well... I bet a squirt of Thrive would get those plants goin crazy and if u have another one of those shop lights on the opposite side would really help it along.. good luck!!

10. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

I feel fertilizers would really open me up to more plants! Mainly because I wouldn't have to rely on fish poop and excess feeding for ferts

11. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Lately all I’ve been using in my tanks have been the reccomended dosage of thrive a day after my water changes and yes I agree I’m sure it would get u into more plants... is the idea of a walstad tank no ferts or anything? Just 100% natural