Disgusted With 10 Gallon Tank Doing Redo

WinterSoldier.

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I have had it with the walstad method. Or at least in my 10 gallon. The soil is anerobic so that means only water lillies will grow. I am going to strip it down and start again. This time I am doing root tabs so I can grow more root feeders. I also plant to add kitty litter (unscented) to produce Iron. I am going to do floating guppy grass, ludwigia, water wisteria, a water lily. an anubias, hornwort and frog bit or water lettuce. The tank is in such a state I am embarrassed to post a picture. So what do you think??

Suggestions, comments, ideas??

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
WinterSoldier. said:
So I have had it with the walstad method. Or at least in my 10 gallon. The soil is anerobic so that means only water lillies will grow. I am going to strip it down and start again. This time I am doing root tabs so I can grow more root feeders. I also plant to add kitty litter (unscented) to produce Iron. I am going to do floating guppy grass, ludwigia, water wisteria, a water lily. an anubias, hornwort and frog bit or water lettuce. The tank is in such a state I am embarrassed to post a picture. So what do you think??

Suggestions, comments, ideas??
Curious as to why only water lilies will grow in anaerobic conditions.

My attempt at a Walstad ended in failure. When I broke it down the soil smelled of manure... best of luck on the rescape, would love to see pics even if you're not happy with how it currently looks.

PheonixKingZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I mean, can’t you just take the bettas out, and put more plants, driftwood in the tank? Do you have to do a 100% water change? And redo everything? I think that tank looks good!!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think your tank looks awesome as well... I bet a squirt of Thrive would get those plants goin crazy and if u have another one of those shop lights on the opposite side would really help it along.. good luck!!

OP
WinterSoldier.

WinterSoldier.

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feel fertilizers would really open me up to more plants! Mainly because I wouldn't have to rely on fish poop and excess feeding for ferts

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lately all I’ve been using in my tanks have been the reccomended dosage of thrive a day after my water changes and yes I agree I’m sure it would get u into more plants... is the idea of a walstad tank no ferts or anything? Just 100% natural

New Threads