Disgusted and Angry (sort of a rant)

AshWolFF

So I arrived in San Antonio TX (America) a couple days ago!

I decided to check out Aquarium Adventure, two days, ago and I was only there briefly due to my college schedule. The guy told me he'd email me a form to fill out for shipping a Baby Whale Fish. So I got the form and instead of 4.50 as was priced at the store it was 45$!!! I told him no thank you.

I went back to the store to actually browse with my Nephew (my kid). Disgusted. When I took a closer look their fish were immaculate, they had a wide range of corals, and their tanks were clean. BUT everything was jacked up ranging 10-50 dollars higher then an original price! Glo-Fish tetra's were 10-12 dollars EACH. Dwarf Gourami were 8 dollars. A Baby BiOrb (4 gal) was near the hundreds. Its was 30 dollars for a medium piece of waterlogged driftwood. Petsmart and Petco, yes, have lesser cared for tanks but they are MUCH MUCH cheaper! Totally worth QT-ing a fish for a month then dealing with super large prices!

I looked around and realized some false advertising. They only have 3-4 locations but on their main website it says that they had a very large Koi pond, a reading library, a huge reef aquarium, and it said: "Bring the family for an aquatic adventure!" They did not specify a location. There was nothing like this at the Aquarium Adventure SA. A few scattered indoor ponds but nothing as beautiful as the pictures online. My kid was super bummed. They really need to specify where all these "cool eel and reef tanks really are".

Then there was the staff. They acted as if they catered to the wealthy! They placed their store in a middle class area! I asked one of the staff politely if they sold Brackish fish and I said (quite proudly) that my kid had started a 55 gal all by himself. The staff responded: "Brackish?" In a quite disgusted tone of voice. "There's nothing Brackish here." Then my kid piped in: "I'm still cycling the tank!" The staff gave him a sort of are-you-stupid sort of glare and ignored his comment and walked away. I pulled my kid away and to look at the cleaner shrimp. We bumped him into him again and my good ole' kid said: "Ewww when I thought you said cleaner shrimp I thought you meant SHRIMP they look like bugs!" HI'm and I had a good chuckle and the guy just moved away and stared at us as if were mentally . The other staff pressured us. They followed us as we were browsing. This other man came up to us three times and asked if we were interested in buying something. I kept telling him no.

The decorations there were awesome but highly jacked up. A Siddhartha Gautama statue that I recently saw at Petsmart selling for 40 dollars (36 with their store card) was 64.99 there.

We were both sorely disappointed. Their display was great but there staff and their prices were ridiculous. I had better luck at Fintique and Alamo Aquatic's where the tanks were of lower quality but there at least they had a cheery good hearted staff and rightly priced items.

kinezumi89

The reef tank is at my Aquarium Adventure

I agree the prices are too high, but if you're a member of the fish club then they're quite reasonable. That being said I don't think $8 for a dwarf gourami is outrageous.

It all depends on the store My dwarf gourami came from an Aquarium Adventure and he's doing great. All my nerites are from there as well. It's the same with any chain store. Some Petsmarts are great, others are terrible; some Petcos are great, others are terrible. That's too bad you had a bad experience there though

AshWolFF

Yeah I was expecting something a bit more grand. I didn't like the staff's attitude at all especially toward my kid. >

Sora

If a company ever did that to me I wouldnt buy anything from them as well, that's terrible that they would do that to a potential customer, especially one with a kid in tow

AshWolFF

My kid is 16 but he has Autism, he's my nephew but I adopted him and I have fond feelings for him. Although he acts a little younger because of his disability its no reason to give mean looks or ignorance. He struggles with understanding social skills which made it really hard on him when he was ignored by the staff and given looks. That is what made me upset.

AnthonyC4C

People amaze me... Sorry you had to deal with that.... Ash... I thought you were like 19 but now I have no clue...

Glofish tetras in my area are 17.99 and higher...

Dwarf Gourami's are anywhere from 2.49 to 7.79

Most decorations that are any good are 40+ to 70 bucks...

AshWolFF

Well I'm very used to my Petsmart and Petco near my place which sells Glofish for 3.00 each, Dwarf Gourami for 5.00, and small ornaments like bridges, temples etc for 10-15...Wal-Mart is even cheaper in decor. Maybe that's just in Japan, LOL?

Haha I'm 21, I recently changed my birthdate since my nephew, who was setting up my account as I was making dinner accidently made me 22 or 23.

My dear nephew's father and mother did not want to deal with his condition and wanted to give him to child services...they were even considering a mental institute! My father stood up and did the right thing of adopting him. When I turned 18 I told my old man that I would take the responsibility of raising him myself even though I still had college. I did it because I didn't think he'd like to go through "teenager hood" all over again.

oscarsbud

My kid is 16 but he has Autism, he's my nephew but I adopted him and I have fond feelings for him. Although he acts a little younger because of his disability its no reason to give mean looks or ignorance. He struggles with understanding social skills which made it really hard on him when he was ignored by the staff and given looks. That is what made me upset.

I don't blame you a bit for being upset. My oldest son doesn't have autism, but he is a special needs person. He is slow but knows when people are being condescending and it upsets him. I hate it when we go out somewhere and he tries to contribute to a conversation and they look at him like he has 3 heads.

Tonia

Pristine tanks may be nice, but the service is everything to me. I have a great fish store near me.. well 2 actually.. one is called Finatics and one is Pets Unlimited.. Finatics is of course devoted to fish.. I go to them for anything that I'm requesting special order and for good fish foods.. the other has great tanks and plants, but not so knowledgeable staff.

So sorry to hear they snubbed your son, though.. that's the worst customer service I've heard in a long time.. ignorant and rude people should not be catering to customers in any setting.

AshWolFF

I don't blame you a bit for being upset. My oldest son doesn't have autism, but he is a special needs person. He is slow but knows when people are being condescending and it upsets him. I hate it when we go out somewhere and he tries to contribute to a conversation and they look at him like he has 3 heads.

Well with his disability he rarely starts conversations. I, in which he his comfortable with, almost never starts conversations with me unless it's in his interest. When I showed him the stores website I was super surprised when he stood up and said that he wanted to go right then and there.

I was totally stunned when he went directly up to a TOTAL stranger and actually tried to have a normal conversation. When people ignore him like that he really loses self confidence.

In short I will be taking him to Fintique one of my all time favorite stores.

Creekwalker

Some people don't know how to interact with special needs people. Sounds like this guy might have been one of those types of people. In their defense, you shouldn't expect everyone to WANT to interact with him, or even be polite about it. (I don't know how special needs he is which would affect peoples perception of him). This is one of those life skills he needs to understand, not everyone is nice etc. etc.

You must be a very very very nice/non selfish person to do this. Do you/have you sought out help in getting a better understanding of his situation? So that you can be a better "parent" and help him to improve in his social interactions.

fishyluv

Well I'm very used to my Petsmart and Petco near my place which sells Glofish for 3.00 each, Dwarf Gourami for 5.00, and small ornaments like bridges, temples etc for 10-15...Wal-Mart is even cheaper in decor. Maybe that's just in Japan, LOL?

Haha I'm 21, I recently changed my birthdate since my nephew, who was setting up my account as I was making dinner accidently made me 22 or 23.

My dear nephew's father and mother did not want to deal with his condition and wanted to give him to child services...they were even considering a mental institute! My father stood up and did the right thing of adopting him. When I turned 18 I told my old man that I would take the responsibility of raising him myself even though I still had college. I did it because I didn't think he'd like to go through "teenager hood" all over again.

Wow! I really can't think of the words that would do you justice!!! You sound like an awesome person with a huge heart!~!! That is sure one lucky kid to have you in his life!!!!! If all kids could be so lucky to have someone that cares for them and loves them unconditionally as you do!!! You deserve an award!!!!!!!

ghardin

Yeah really, how amazing. And the 55 tank must be a good thing for him to focus on.

AshWolFF

Thank you guys. I'm touched. :,(

Well yeah when he said he wanted the 55 gallon in HIS room instead of my room, (he already has the 30 gallon by the way) I was so close to arguing with him but he had that 'face'. LOL I realized that later on it'd be good for him to work on and keep him busy when I am studying. XD

I am paying a yearly tuition for a special school for him but I plan to pay for social skill tutors as soon as I get a well paying job and graduate from college.

troyvsc

I am glad he has someone like you looking out for him. Hopefully that does not detour his interest in fish keeping and the happiness that it brings.

AshWolFF

I am glad he has someone like you looking out for him. Hopefully that does not detour his interest in fish keeping and the happiness that it brings.

Thank you very much!

Well fishkeeping is basically his special interest. He is my walking fish encyclopedia. When I told him to research about F8 puffers before even considering a second aquarium for the house for three months he relayed puffer information until I literally told him "ALRIGHT WE ARE GETTING A SECOND AQUARIUM!!!" XD

CoryCats

I'm so sorry you had that experience! I can't believe people would treat anyone especially a child like that! Your nephew is very fortunate to have you looking after him!

AshWolFF

I try my best. Sometimes I'm not the best parent in the world (we do some crazy stuff together XD) but I have total maternal instincts

ravenlady13

I have a form of autism called Asperger's Syndrome. I fully understand your nephew's struggles. The way the staff acted towards him was unpardonable. He's got every right to be proud of setting up and cycling a tank himself. It's not an easy thing to do, at least in my experience!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
americanninja
Replies
Views
faithmoser
Replies
Views
alauruin
Replies
Views